1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need serious help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 17, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

Customer has 66700 sq ft. 85% weeds. I told him the yard needed to be renovated. soil is clay and a few rocks here and there. I was thinking it needs about 2-3 inches of top soil. I know there's some type of attachment you can rent for a bobcat that flips the soil over. If anyone knows what it's called it would be helpful) all flat ground with a slight incline. Any suggestions for getting this job done and what price range you would charge.
  2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You mean a hydro powered tiller??? Aslo a machine called the RotaDairon i'm sure you have heard of that. It runs off a tractor PTO. Hope this helps & good luck.
  3. jeff_0

from md

Thanks, anyone have a idea of what they would charge. And should top toil be added or compost? :)
  4. jeff_0

from md

no one has any idea of a price
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have any idea yourself? Do you know how much top soil you will need to cover 66700 sf with 2-3"?

Personally, I would wait 'til September to do this job......

BTW... How did the last job/bid go?
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

millet in the summer

rye in the winter
  7. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

jeff 0, So the lawn is something like 300' by 220'?
    I don't know if my math is right but its going to take quite a bit of loam for this job. I figured to cover 66, 700 sq. ft with 3" of loam to be 617 yards. (66,700/27= 2470 yds at 1 foot deep, a 1/4 of that amount would be 617 yards) How are you planning on spreading this loam?
    I paid something like $13-15 / yard last summer which gives you a figure of at least $8000, just in loam.
  8. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

to cover 66000sf of area 3''deep you need 612 yards of loam times that by say 15.00 per yard (if lucky) and you are looking at almost $9200. just for dirt. good luck selling that to a customer.
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I second the idea of subbing it out. Put some money in your pocket and not break a sweat.
  10. jeff_0

from md

i did the wrong thing, i didn't call him back.. i would have time to do the work anyway.. too much work coming my way