Need setup advice/ideas.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Stripper, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Stripper

Stripper LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

I have a PG Magnum on order and trying to figure out what will be my best choice for hauling liquid. I also ordered the carrying rack to avoid pulling a trailer, so bed space could possibly be a premium? I'm thinking of using a 100 gal poly tank and a 12V pump to haul the liquid. Do you think the 100 gal tank would take up too much bed space(38"L x 30"W x 26"H)? 100 gallons would treat just over 425K. I know alot of you guys already know the do's and don't, so I would really appreciate feedback. BTW, all of this will be used on/in a fullsize (long bed) 3/4 ton P/U.

As of now, I have two options on 12V pumps. A Shurflo 3.0 gpm or a 6.25 gpm. I'm looking at $75 vs. $190. I don't really want to spend an extra $115, but 3.0 gpm seems slow? With that being said, I don't want to buy something twice either. What do you guys think?

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Northern Tool has a 5 gpm pump for 105.00. I am going to reduce the nozzle size on my PG by half. I am looking at a 65 gallon tank. The 3 gpm will be too slow. I am going to use a trailer. I think that a trailer will be handy. I tow with cargo van. That leaves room in the van for tools and other equipment. Used vans are cheap compared to trucks.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We've always just used 2 gallon jugs. We line them up in the back of the truck and fill them the night before, or in the morning. They work well.

4. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I know there may be some opposition to what I'm about to say, but my buddy, uses 50 gal tank as the PG nurse tank with a Shurflo pump. I think the gpm is 3gpm..

While the PG's filling up he's filling out invoices..He's been doing it for years now.

Another close friend just recieved his Magnum and now only uses 50 gal of his 200 gal tank.. go figure. :)

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Runner,

how many lawns you treating in one day and how many square feet?

EG

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure how high the magnum sets, but you could just gravity feed from a tank in the bed of the truck and save all you money, except for the $13 shut off valve and a 3' hose

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is what I do. I've got a 40 gallon tank in the truck, and my truck sits slightly higher than the tank on my Ultra. Just use gravity. 8 gallons, it really doesn't take that long.

I also used to do what Runner did, except I used a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon jugs that I had left over from my Momentum. I'd carry about 20 around at a time. Just fill them up the night before, at one point I had 40, and my wife would fill one group up while I was out spraying, then at night I'd swap out the jugs.

8. Stripper

Stripper LawnSite Member
    from Ky.

Thanks guys for the input. I should have my PG tomorrow afternoon. I not sure how much higher, if any, the Magnum sits than the Ultra. My truck is a 99' model year and doesn't sit quite as high as the newer trucks. Gravity feeding might be questionable. Time is still one of the concerns I have. The Magnum has a 12 gallon tank, not 8 gallons. What about tank size? A bigger tank would be better if your going to gravity feed, but takes more bed space along with added weight. Just trying to do my best not to buy something twice.

9. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

Go to walmart and get yourself a 12v boat pump. there like $12-15 and put out quite a bit.

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the chemicals that are used in ag/lawncare are very carrosive and would most likely take out a cheap pump in no time... as far as a larger tank for gravity feed, a 100gal tank with a 1" valve and hose will fill that 12gal in less then 2 minutes! (just make sure you have a vent to releave tank pressure)...
    i fill my 600gal tank w/ 50gal of liqiud N from a 300gal gravity set up, takes about 5min (max) :cool2: