1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need shrub/perennial ideas!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eruuska, Jul 29, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I great mowing customer of mine just finished an addition to his house, and is looking to complete it with landscaping to match the rest of the home. I've gotten everything pretty much settled, except for what to put in his beds.

He's got one continuous bed around the home, about 4 feet wide, lined with victorian rectangle stones, filled with red mulch. In the front he's got roses, on one side he's got hostas, and on another side he's got rhododendrons with some low shrubs.

He wants something different than what he has now. He wants a sort of "layered look", with taller plants close to the house, and shorter ones further out. He'd like to see some sort of evergreen but is pretty non-specific otherwise. He's REAL big on perennials. No annuals allowed. :rolleyes:

I've attached (I hope!) some photos of the addition in the hope that someone can give me some suggestions as to what greenery would look good there. I haven't been doing this long enough to be fluent in the language of shrubbery.

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

keep going with the hostas, and add a boxwood hedge behind it, maybe emphasize the corners with a arborvitae or dwarf spruce. Also upsell this install with some lighting, its easy to put in and it would look great on that fireplace.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Can you tell me which climate zone your in?Let me look up a few things and I will get back to you on this.
  4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

NW Indiana, Zone 5 I believe.

Anxiously ;) awaiting,
  5. sheshovel

OK just a sec.
  6. sheshovel

heres one quick and easy idea,Dwarf weeping tree surrounded by Daylillies and or Foxgloves...Daylillies
    come in lots of cool colors and kinds,die back in winter but come back every spring and go thru all summer
  7. sheshovel

I'll work on the other,not too good with my paintshop yet.
  8. sheshovel

I would suggest he go with a paver patio from both doors to the pond and plant a mixed bed to the right .Lots and lots of stuff you could choose.Look in your local nursery and ask and have him look and see what he likes at the nursery too.Nothing worse than choosing something your cust wont like so make suggestions but meet at the nursery or bring him pics or e-mail him pics you took at the nursery so he can give you an idea of what he does and does not like.Sorry about the photoshop mess I made
  9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Here's a quick design that I think would look ok.Don't have time right now to do any others.

Attached Files:

10. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

I'd buldoze the whole thing, house and all. Start from scratch. A stone castle, 50 feet high walls, with no windows. A lagoon in the back and a 20 ft wall around the property to keep beggers out. I'd landscape with a rock garden, japanese maples of various variety, and a large bananna tree in the front that can be removed and stored in a climate controlled storage unit for the winter. I'd sod centipede, and dig a large moat around the outer wall, again to deter beggers. I'd position 2 large caldrons filled with boiling tar over the drawbridge to prevent beggers from rioting and forcing entry. I'd position towers at all corners of the property outfitted with the best archers in the land to make sure that beggers aren't trying to steal your deer. Finally, I'd send my best men on a quest to find the holy grail, only to meet their demise at the hands of the Moors, whilst my best friend runs away with my wife in front of my eyes.