1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need simple formula

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Feb 25, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Was wondering if anybody could help me with a simple formula for converting fractions of an hour into minutes. <p>I'm not the sharpest tack. :) For example how many minutes are in .068 hours? <p>Thanks in advance
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I never really gave it much thought, but I broke out the old calculator and lets see.<p>ex.<p>.25 hours = 15 minutes<p>60 x .25 = 15<p>60 - how many minutes in an hour<br>.25 - time in a fraction of an hour<br>15 - minutes<p>.068 = 4 minutes<p>Hope I didn't make it sound too complictated. You just multiply your fraction of an hour (in decimal form) by 60 and that gives you minutes. Makes sense, and it works I guess. <p>Now...weather you like it or not : How to convert minutes to a fraction of an hour!!<p>Reverse the procedure:<br>15 / 60 = .25<p>15 (minutes) divided by 60 (minutes in an hour) = fraction of an hour.<p>Wow...I managed once again to make lawn care comparable to rocket science!!<p>I think this is why I get paid as a Civil Engineer.<p>Hope I helped (confuse the SH!+ out of you!)<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I always use 1/10's or.10's of hours when figuring time.<br>1/10= 6 minutes<br>2/10= 12 minutes<br>3/10= 18 minutes<br>4/10= 24 minutes<br>5/10= 30 minutes<br>6/10= 36 minutes<br>7/10= 42 minutes<br>8/10= 48 minutes<br>9/10= 54 minutes<p>I always used this method when I worked &quot;down at the factory&quot;, our time clocks worked this way so thats how you figured. <br>Always round to the nearest 10th. Real easy to add them up too.<p>Homer
  4. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

DECIMAL MINUTE EQUIVALENT<p> .08 = 5 min.<br> .167 = 10 min.<br> .25 = 15 min.<br> .333 = 20 min.<br> .42 = 25 min.<br> .5 = 30 min.<br> .58 = 35 min.<br> .667 = 40 min.<br> .75 = 45 min.<br> .84 = 50 min.<br> .92 = 55 min.<br>
  5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

To go from minutes to hour decimal multiply by 1.67<p>To go from hour decimal to minutes multiply by 60.
  6. Jason

Thanks for the help. I guess I did it right. I was multiplying by 60 and came up with a hair over 4 minutes. I just didn't believe my figures.<br>I was just practicing making up bids last night, and couldn't believe that it should only take 4 minutes to mow 5780 sq/ft. Thought somthing was wrong with my math.<br>For whoever may be interested, my example uses a 52&quot; deck at 4mph with some overlap to give a 85,000 sq/ft per hour production rate.<br>Just a number I threw in was 5780 for size of lawn in square footage. Take that divided by the production rate of 85,000 and I ended up with .068. I just couldn't believe it could be done in 4 minutes. Thanks for confirming. Since I'm new to this biz, I felt I better know my stuff when I'm bidding. I greatly appreciate the help.
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

WHOA there, Jason. Your production rate is valid only for continuous cutting. Are you never going to turn or drive over an area you have already mowed? Never have to double cut? Does your mower just hop off the truck in 1 second to start and hop back on when done? :eek:<p>Sounds like at least a 10-12 min mowing, plus time for trimming and sweeping, if applicable.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<p><br>
  8. Jason

Groundkprs,<p>Thanks for the input, the 4 minutes I came up with is just for the mowing, I also figured in trimming times, blowing, edging, unloading, and loading. Also kept my mowing rate conservative at 4 mph with overlap. My total time on my hypothetical lawn comes to be just over 20 minutes.