Need small engine mechanic advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by matthew horner, Apr 29, 2006.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a used toro 355 and was washing it with the engine running. Well I got some water on the top of the engine and the mower cut off. I tried to start it and all I got was a click. Each time, a click. No starter engagement at all, but something is getting power (remember the "click")?
    I could not find any fuses on the machine. What should I begin to look for?
    Thanks alot!!
    Matthew

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

read the sticky at top of this forum, about what to provide when posting in this forum. we need to know what engine this is...make, model, and other info.

3. matthew horner

I'm sorry
    (by the way, nice emblem, I drive a 73 scout II with a 304)

The toro has a kohler 25 horse. Thats about what I know. I'd say its a 2002 or 2003 model.
    Matthew

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't by chance leave the PTO switch on did you ? You need to locate where the click is coming from then check that component. Just guessing I would say the starter solenoid, But could be the PTO clutch if the switch was left on.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Im with Restro on the clutch engaging being the click. Also make sure the parking brake is on too; I made that mistake before :hammerhead:

6. matthew horner

Thanks, but those two were checked. Blades weren't running, and so the pto is off. I hear a seperate click with the pto anyways. It has (I think) something to do with the water getting on a component. I know it shouldn't, but that is what shut it off.

7. Restrorob

OK, As I mentioned before which component is doing the clicking ? And in which switch position ? You are our eyes and ears here, You have a PTO clutch and if equipped a fuel cut-off solenoid and if equipped a starter relay that all click when the switch is turned to the on position. Then the starter solenoid clicks when the switch is turned to the start position. The engine will not crank over correct ? What method was used to check the starter ?

8. matthew horner

I meant I checked the brake and the pto. I have not checked the starter. How do I do that?
    Do you know if these mowers have fuses I can check?

9. Restrorob

If a fuse were the problem you would have no click....

Without a engine model and spec. number I can't tell which starter you have, Is the solenoid mounted on the starter or on the unit frame ?

10. matthew horner

Its on the starter. I actually replaced the starter yesterday with a used one and it worked fine. I still say its something about the water.......
    The starter mounted with two bolts and looks like a basic kohler starter. 2 wires on a stud and one on a blade connector.