1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice between REDMAX or STIHL trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David W, Jul 27, 2006.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

We are looking to purchase all new trimmers and would like to hear from you guys as what you think:

Red Max's BCZ2600s or Stihl's FS1004MIX

I am personally sold on the Red Max as I have been using one for years, but since we are looking to purchase 8 trimmers thought I would seek some advice from those who have used both.

We are testing both in our shop right now but we our split on our decision.

Any thoughts?
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You will be very satisfied with the REDMAX trimmers! JMO
  3. NewbieNC

NewbieNC LawnSite Member

Yea...I was alos thinking of getting a Redmax BCZ2600S Ive heard great things about them
  4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm contemplating the same decision. I think the Stihl attachments are more durable. Hedger, chainsaw etc. Also why not compare the 2600 to the Stihl fs80. I like the 4mix my guys are not so pro 4mix.
  5. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Have you pretty good luck with the Fs80's?

The dealer we use suggested the FS100 because of the power to weight ratio was good. 31cc and 10.8 pounds. It is a nice trimmer but the head isn't the greatest and I'm not crazy about 4-stroke engines.

After field testing both yesterday we are sold on the Red Max but my partner doesn't like the vibration they have. To me, the vibration is worth getting used to and trimmer head is far superior and easier to change.

Probably going with 4 of each to make everyone happy for now as we usually rotate new trimmers out each year.

Thanks for the replies.