Need some advice for my new lawn this fall.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

My house was completed last aug and my lawn was seeded with fescue.. it was doing VERY well all fall and this spring.. after a long time without rain the beginning of this summer the lawn began to burn out.. about 30% of the lawn now is bare patches. I also now have alot of weeds starting to pop up.. I want to tackle this lawn right this fall and i need some advice on what do to.. I live in charlotte NC.. What steps should i take to get this lawn into shape and when should i start..
    I have an areater that i can use so it will not be a problem getting that.. the lawn is .5 acres..
    I want to start out by killing the weeds then plan on doing a re-seeding.. i have been using a contractors mix of fescue.. would i be better off going with the more expensive brands? this is about 40 bucks for a 50lb bag.

THanks for any advice you guys can give.

2. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Aerate your yard in about two-three weeks, when it starts getting a little cooler. I use Lesco transition blend grass seed. It can be purchased at Home Depot. The best fertilizer formula to use on fescue lawns during over seeding is ( Lesco 18-24-12 or equivalent product ) slow-release. The best seed type to use in the Charlotte NC area is a Hybrid Fescue. (If you use cheap seed, expect a cheap lawn.)

Good Luck!

3. Jeffd1979

Ya i plan on getting the good stuff this year.. I see you live in Concord NC pilotcoplawnboy. I accually live in MT pleasant about 7 miles outside of concord..

4. Jeffd1979

What should i use to get rid of the weeds in the yard?

5. pilotcoplawnboy

Put down weed killer that applys to the type of weeds you have. Go to Lowes and you will see that they have a wide variety of weed killers. Wait the appropriate time for the weed killer to take effect and disappear, then get ready to plant some new grass. I personally wait atleast two weeks before I attempt to plant new grass after spraying roundup or a weed killer.

6. pilotcoplawnboy

This is what my yard currently looks like after roundup was applied. It is more dead than it appears. (The pic was taken right after the roundup was applied.) In two weeks I will aerate, seed and fertilize.

tnpict0261.jpg

7. Jeffd1979

Where do you live? that looks like a house i almost bought in a neighborhood off of hwy 49 up by the cabarrus arena.. Don't think it is the same house though.. yours appears to be on a slab and this was a crawl space house.

8. Jeffd1979

here is what mine looked like this spring

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is what it looked like in July
    [​IMG]

I don;t have any new pics now cuz it is raining but it is 20x worse now.. the yard has huge dead patches of nothing but dirt.. I want to get it back to what it was like last spring

9. pilotcoplawnboy

I actually live in Harrisburg.
    Here's some pic of my old house that I sold in April. It was in Concord.

mylawn1.jpg

10. Jeffd1979

Where in Harrisburg is that.. my wife works for a Lawyer that lives in Stallings farm.. it is about 2 miles behind the new lowes foods..

Do you own that landscaping company in your profile? It says you guys do retaining walls.. i am thinking about getting a retaining wall put in at my house in the left hand side all the way down.. you can see what i am talking about in the first pic.. in the second you can barely see the hill but thats the line i want take with the wall... it would be about a 75 foot long wall about 4-5 ft tall... what would you suggest?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]