1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice from the pros on a small ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tlvoskamp, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

I have a question for you pros out there. I mow lawns in West Texas, mostly all resedential. THe grass types I usually mow are Bermuda and Saint Augustine. I am currently mowing around 10 yards with a 21" toro mower and I am looking to expand to between 20 and 30 yards. I want to get a small zero turn before the end of the year for tax purposes. I have been looking around and I like the skag 36' z-cat, the exmark 34" phaser and the DIxon black bear 34". I think the scag is the toughest and coolest but I would hate to limit my back gate access because I wanted to get something cool. What unit would you guys buy to do 20-30 mostly resedential yards. Any advice would be helpful. Also any motor recommendations would be nice.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Gravely dealer, and I would suggest you look at the Gravely 34" commercial duty machine. I am predjudiced for sure. however, if you compare the Gravely 34Z with all the other compact, commercial ZTR's, you will find the Gravely is the best designed, best cutting, and toughest built of all of them. Remember, size matters. A 36" ZTr will not fit through the common 36" gate you find throughout Texas. You need to go with a 34" machine.
    If you look at the Gravelys, do not confuse the 34Z with the homeowner 1534 model.
    We sell a lot of the 34Z machines here in North Texas, and they do a great job on Bermuda and St. Augustine. Hope you are getting some rain out there. There sure is not anything to cut around this part of Texas due to the drought here.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm not sure why any one would buy a 34" or 36" ZTR, why not just buy a walk behind for a lot less money for small lawns?

But.........everyone's got their own thing.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I own this mower, and its a great mower. Plenty of power, does a great job. I would highly recommend it. Look at it next to a phaser (Im an exmark guy with a lazer) and you will see the phaser is cheap compared to the gravely. I know nothing of the others you brought up, but Dixie has one now that looks pretty rugged. Keep in mind about the gates too. We have a few we have to just, and i mean just squeeze the 34 through.
  5. lawnman_scott

The common responce from someone who owns which one??????????? ah thats right, none. Find me the guy who owns one and hates the thing.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Which one what ?

You have YOUR opinion and I have mine. It's quite simple, they are hardly productive enough to justify the cost.

I'll say it again since you didn't get it the first time.........To each his own.
  7. Tlvoskamp

Tlvoskamp LawnSite Member

I hear alot about the gravely 34" commercial machine. Do you guys think the craftmanship and the longterm benefit of the scag z-cat 36 is worth missing out on a few back yards, or is that just crazy talk. So are there no good contenders with the gravely 34, would you call that the premire 34" machine

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Okay all small wb have pull ropes there are more or less about the same price i own the z-cat this machine is very productive,the seat is horrible on the z it needs a better seat the cut is good,i have looked at the exmark seems it's 1k cheaper also looked at the grasshopper that's right they have a small z also not much on this one.
  9. lawnman_scott

Im just saying, how can you say they arent productive enough? Not for you maybe, but I dont think the guy is buying you a mower. If you look at the big picture, a little z makes a wb look like a useless hunk of metal. Factor in fatiuge and everything else, and there is no downside.
  10. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

i have a gravely 34z that is two yrs old. i paid 4,200 for it. i bought it specifically to fit thru small gates that my 36" walk behind wouldnt fit thru.
    my only objection is, i wish it had a floating deck instead but it still does a fine job. the 15 hp kaw is a very quiet engine! it goes 9 mph which is super.