1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice help on getting the commercial jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaussigLawnCare, Mar 9, 2003.

1. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

Currently I mow only residential lawns and I am fairly new to the business how do I go about getting the commercial lawns. Do I need to find the owners and give them a bid or how does everyone else do it. I am welcome to all advice cause you have all tried it all and knows what works. I know I am cheaper then the huge businesses but I do as good or a better job but I don't know how to go about getting them.
  2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Most companies around here take bids each year. Alot has do with who you know. if you know someone in the company you can suggest giving them a bid to compare their existing contract too. Most commercial accounts will require you to have at least $2,000,000 in insurance to even bid their property. I have $3,000,000 in coverage and haven't found a company who requested more than this yet. If there is a property you would like to have, just stop and ask if you caould give them a bid, the worst case scenario is they say no thanks, but you could also get the job.
  3. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

off topic, but how do you have 130+++ lawns, 4 trucks if your fairly new to the business+++?
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

130 lawns is awesome man. I don't have near that many and was curious what kind of revenue can be generated with that many lawns and 2 crews. Gives me something to shoot for. Thanks for any info!

As far as commercial, just start knocking on their doors, you'll do fine. Plus, with a lot of residentials like you have, hit those people up and the places they work for. Later.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I am 18 and have nearly 150 customers and I run 2 crews. Last summer I had 3 engines go out on my trucks 2 of my fingers cut off and 3000$ worth of stuff stolen but I have high hopes for this year.

You sure you want to keep doing this?:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

"I am 18 and have 130++ lawns and I run 2 crews and have 4 trucks and more mowers then I can put up here and just hired a part time mechanic that will make my lfe ahella lot easier woo hoo."

Sounds like you are a pretty large company yourself. How can you be all that cheaper than a "huge" company and still afford everything you have? Must have ALOT of capital if you are fairly new to the business.

If you are cheaper than the "huge" businesses and you only do residential, I hope you know how to bid commercial properties. As stated, you will need a $2mil policy, workers comp, and I would imagine your licensed already. Also stated, bids usually take place once a year. Usually bids need to include complete service. So I hope you have a pesticide license. :D
  8. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I see your in Manhattan,Kansas (I'm a KSU Hort. grad '98). I'm in Hutchinson Kansas and I have a few commercial accounts and they only require 1,000,000 in liability. All the accounts I have the company contacted me and I just bid what I thought was fair.

Now I'm a small company! I only have about 20 residential and 2 commercial, I work by myself, and I aslo do landscaping and am a full service lawn care (fertility program etc...).
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Paul

Me thinks he has to fill in a whole lot of the "blanks"...what do you think?

Something really doesn't add up here, does it?