Need Some Advice Here Fellas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Apr 12, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I have one yard I do that has a 36" gate and another that is on the verge of being too small for my 52" Lazer HP. I use a 21" Toro on the gated yard.

Problem: My son bought a house about 30 minutes from me and he has a 36" gate. I have him set up in the mowing business with my backup equipment, with the mower being a 52" Scag SSZ. We shared the 21" for the end of the season last year. Now I am tired of driving a half hour thru city traffic to get my 21". Having my boy buy his own small mower is out of the question, he just bought a house and is getting married this summer.

I was thinking of a 36" commercial, but have a hard time justifying at least $2500 for one, maybe two yards. I like the Billy Goat 33" for about $1100. Or, I could buy a new 21" and spend about $400-500, Or I could buy a used one and not know what I am getting.

Am I being extravagant getting a Billy Goat? Should I buy used? (I cannot drop the gated yard, family friend that's a widow.)

2. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

What I did with one of my good customers was found a used larger gate and offered to install it free. Ended up he volunteered to pay me to install it. Even if he hadn't it was worth my time to be able to use the larger mower.

3. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

If you don't mind push mowing I would go with a used 21" since you only have two yards you would use it on, Now if you had 20 yards to push mow I could see buying a new one. When I bought my used push mower I was only looking for good brand name mowers got a John Deere.... With me I'm down to one yard to push mow I've thought about getting a small com. rider but it wouldn't pay for its self on one lawn. But if your looking for a good tax write off buy the rider.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I like this idea. Maybe you could offer those two clients to install new gates for them. They pay for the materials, you do the labor. It's not too difficult to tear down some posts and install some new gates. You could probably re-use most of the wood.

In this way, you have to spend NOTHING except some of your time, and you don't have to buy a new mower.

I am not sure I'd specifically purchase a new mower for just one or two accounts. That's not a sound financial decision. I'd probably sooner drop the accounts.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting how various parts of the country vary on these gates....in our area 90% have 36" gates and no room to make the gate bigger because the next house sit up against it. And up North it sounds like mostly no fences or gates that are real wide....go figure ...in Texas we bunch the homes up.

6. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

I found a encore 36 for 300$, so can you.

7. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

We were thinking about that the other day....

8. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

9. Scenic Shrubs

Scenic Shrubs LawnSite Member

I have a couple of yards where I have retro fitted the fence itself. Made it so I can lift a whole section right out -can drive a bus back there. Takes way too much time with a 21" mower. You can probably cut a whole other lawn in the same time it takes to do just the back (depending on the size of the yard of course.)

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

nice? ... huh. its like 20 years old lol

i have this same problem though! i have 3 accounts that take a long time with a 21" and i bid them as if i had a 36" because its not the customers fault im not equipped. .. i figure once i have 5 of these types of yards and it takes me forever to do them i will get a quik 36 and cut the time in half.

its soo essential to have a mower that works for gated yards. i find myself overbidding sometimes and not getting yards because i dont have a 36" . not good.