1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice of a tree farm

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by gravelyman50, Apr 6, 2011.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Don't forget about your deer population!. When conditions are right they can and will eat everything down to the ground. Investing in fence up to 10' high may need to be incorporated into your budget.
    easy-lift guy

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Or lots of bars of Irish spring soap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Perhaps by the pallet may be cheaper:laugh:, still have to keep them in check or they will eat everything.
    easy-lift guy

4. milanis

milanis LawnSite Member

The concern about deer is valid, but if you plant White Pines as sacrificial trees, the deer will eat them before anything else. As far as White Pine are concerned, they're "deer candy!" Any conifer that has stiff, bristly needles will ward off deer. Colorado Spruces, for example, aren't attractive to them while Firs of any kind are.

5. JTLarson

JTLarson LawnSite Member

I worked at a tree farm through high school and some during & after college. All of their trees came from Schmidt Nursery in Oregon. Baileys is another large supplier. Different grades, different sizes to start from. The farm I worked at was strictly wholesale and B & B (balled and burlap) only. From my experience in the nursery/landscape industry, 1 1/2-2" caliper seemed the most popular, and containers were better for cash and carry. A lot of the larger trees seemed to be spaded directly from growing spot to the new location. I don't have much experience with evergreens. Most of my experience has been with deciduous.
    Posted via Mobile Device