1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice on a job bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CLM, Sep 9, 2001.

1. CLM

CLM LawnSite Member

my friend and i are in our first year of lawn maintenance and landscaping so we are new to correct job bidding. yesterday our biggest customer, a builder, gave us a huge project and we are kinda stuck on how much to give her the estimate for.

ok, there's a big retention pond that starts about 60 feet from the road and all around it is wetlands, as she calls it, with thick thistles, weeds, small bushes and trees. she wants approx. 2200 sq ft completely removed and seeded with grass. since there is only two of us it'll take us about a week, maybe a week and a half to finish. so anywhere between 80-120 man hours plus the equipment rental. we'll need a skid steer and a walk behind brushcutter. any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Countryside Lawn Maintenance
  2. 80-120 man hours wow thats a lot. With equipment you should have this place done in a few hours or so. You could cut it down and clead it out with a weed eater with a blade on it. Seeding it might be a problem though. Even after you go through it with a skid you will still have to regrade it. All in all I see a half day job.
    Hope this helps some.

Is it wet at the bottom?

One place we mow has a drinage ditch next to it and gets over grown with the same and it takes us 20 min. to cut down with a weed eater and blade. I think it its bigger than what you said.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you meant 22,000 sq. ft. or not, but your estimate is still high if it is.

If it is only 2,200 feet like you said, It shouldn't take you guys more than a day (if that) to get in and out of there with a skid steer.

If your going to rent the skid steer anyway, you might as well rent the brushmower for the front of it. It will save you a lot of time against the push machine.

Be careful of the ground, if its too moist you will sink the machine, and thats when it stops being fun! Believe me, I've seen it many times. Look at my site for some pics if you need a good scare beofre you head into the swamp with the bobcat!!

Look into some tracks if its wet down there.
  4. CLM

CLM LawnSite Member

maybe i gave a bad description of the place but it definately needs more than a weed eater to cut down everything. the ground is also real soft towards the pond too, so getting heavy equipment is impossible, which means getting in there by hand. there are only two of us doing everything and we've never had a job like this before so that's why i put that many hours. ah well, i appreciate your help anyway. i'll just get estimates from companies around here before i give my customer a final price.