Need some advice on a laser level

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigslick7878, Aug 27, 2011.

1. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

OK so I have a job that requires about an 80 foot perfectly straight run, with the wall basically shaped like an "L" overall ending against the house. (If you need a pic I can upload one). Wall looks just like the L shape, long run being the vertical part of the letter.

Pretty much all of the walls I have built have had some type of curve to them, because honestly I hate straight things in a landscape design and try to avoid it at all costs. Square just doesn't work for me.

But that is not possible here, and it has become increasingly frustrating trying to square things up with strings, eyes, tape measure you name it. We smartly stopped after 2 blocks starting the straight run because we knew it would be virtually impossible to line it up right and it would take us forever on top of it.

Bottom line is I see these laser levels go from $100 to $600, and it looks like most are for inside. I can't make heads or tails of a lot of the descriptions so far as if they will do 2 lines with a 90 angle which is what I need. A lot of them look like one horizontal line and one vertical line which is not what I need. I need 2 horizontal lines obviously.

I need one that I can see outside, will go that length and preferably has the tripod with it. Don't really care about cost, but obviously don't want to spend more than I need to if a less expensive model can get the job done.

This is a pretty steep slope the whole way up and I will need it high it can't be anywhere near the ground. All I need is to be able to put it on the lower left corner of the L(position wise, not height wise), and have a 90 degree angle off the point in either direction.

Any recommendations would be helpful, I know nothing about these things. I went into Home Depot and their selection was limited and I wasn't about to drop $430 on something I had not researched.

2. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

spend $10 on string line $8 on grade stakes $20 on a 100+ tape measure. square off the house and use a 3-4-5 to square up. you are making it harder then it really is. measure off the house as much as you can and pull a line. the only laser you need is for shooting grade

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Very good way to figure out square....6-8-10 on longer runs also.....

4. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

as long as you go in multiples of 3-4-5 6-8-10 12-16-20 etc.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly....we use that all the time. It's a great way to figure out square but I am suprised at how many people don't know it. It is 100% accurate and about as simple as you can get.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Holy cow
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

my thoughts exactly...

8. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently you can't read. JFC.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Amazing

Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

At this point I think I'd rather not be able to "read" than not know how to do whAts known in construction as *pull
    Corners*......

Posted via Mobile Device