Need some advice on a soil test

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by David W, Sep 18, 2007.

1. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know what would be tying up Hydrogen to the point of zero? This is a fescue lawn with a Ph of 7.7 which I know is high. Is the hight Ph the main reasons of no hydrogen. The CEC is 12.8 and Cation Saturation is as follows...

%K 4.0
    %Ca 78.7
    %Mg 16.1
    %H 0
    %Na 1.4

I figured it was the high Ph but what exactly ties up hydrogen...richer alkaline soils ???

Your advice is welcomed.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

What about the Compaction of your soil? Compact soil will cause lower Hydrogen. To lower pH use gypsum and sulfur

3. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

The hydrogen is not being tied up, the exchange sites are occupied by the K Ca and Mg. Hydrogen on a soil test is an indicator of low ph.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly!

With 78.7% C and 16.1%Mg and 4%K, your soil has about 98.8% of all the exchange sites already occupied. ( when you add Na, it over 100%, did you misstype something). H will always be reported as zero when ph is above pH7. This doesnt mean that there isnt any H in your soil, just that it isnt able to occupie enough exchange sites to be of much benefit. Another thing to consider is the weather, we have a currrent D4-Exceptional drought rating on a 0-4 scale where I live, ( If it dont start raining, we will soon be a desert), Moisture in the soil will effect ph readings and hydrogen levels. If your soil is exceptionally dry, you might not be as bad off as you think. Grass will do fine at pH7.7, not as good as 6.5, but it will still grow.

5. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Great guys...thanks for the response. Once again I appreciate your knowledge and I will add this to the notebook.

I live in the Louisville, KY area and we haven't had a drought like this in years. Really wreaking havic on the turf.

Even though the pH is 7.7, the grass isn't that bad looking, but I'm sure would look better with 6.5. Going to hit it with sulfer and gypsum when we aerate.