Need some advice on a used mower ....anyone help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shade tree landscaping, Apr 20, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Unit is a used 2003 Walker mower with a 48" deck and 20 hp Kohler motor. Unit is zero turn and has the 9.5 bushel catcher. Hour meter reads 3176 hours. Engine runs smooth, no smoking or knocking and hydros perform with no hiccups or jerkiness. Everything works as it should. The 48" deck takes two blades.
    thats what the dealer is advertising. they are asking $2500 for it. is that a good deal for a walker w/ 3000 hours on it? How do these hold up, has anyone had a major problems with a walker? thanks in advance

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Too many hours for me.....

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I bought one that was in pretty bad shape for $1500. I had to put an hydro on almost immediately but those are around $600. An engine would be around $1K, the gear box on deck around $400. The WAlker are very well made and only you can determine the condition of the deck and other parts. I would try to get it down a little bit but not bad if you can do work on it.

4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure it takes only two blades????

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes walkers 48" deck takes 2 blade counter rotoating so 2 different blades L and R anyway i would try to get the price down a little also look at the blower fan and blower housing. I bought a 16hp with 1300 hours on it 2 yr ago w a new motor at 1000 given that the 16 was not the most desirable i bought it for 3000 i thouhgt it was a fair deal and have no problems, but i think ed is a little low on the engine i dont know if you could buy a 20hp kohler for 1000 i would guess 1500 just because thats what an 18 for mine is going to cost when my goes. I do think you should check metal on the deck skirts for wear they may be very thin and check to see if there is any play in the spindles. Basicly just be prepared to spend probably 1000 for both hydros and 1000-1500 for a new engine right off the bat to be on the safe side. Id say if you dont have money to afford that then maybe you should look at something else. Id just hate to see you buy a machine counting on it lasting you a season to make some money and have it break after a couple weeks then you are stuck with out a mower if you dont have money to fix it. Maybe not 2 grand but you need a little money to cover anything that breaks

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

My guys have done it enough that the hours could be wrong....I have had guys leave the key on over the weekend, (make sfor slow startd on mondays) you do that enough times, the hours will add up with no engien wear.

But if they are actually hour. thats about the time for engine swap. But a compression test will tell you a fair amount.

The Walker mower IMO is severe duty for any engine. the engine is buried under all the covers and the engines most likely run much hotter than other ZTR's and much dirtier conditions.

Never had any hyrdo problems on mine, but had to replace a few gear boxes...

7. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen lower hours for < $3000....do you know who had it before, any history as to how it was maintaned? Do you have any compression #'s/leakdown test? They can also pressure test the hydros. Is the dealer giving you any warranty? Has the engine ever been rebuilt? If not 3000+ hrs is due. Hows the deck gearbox?

8. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

That a fantastic buy IMO. $2500.00 for a 2003 Walker! From a dealer who will stand behind it (I'm assuming) Yes that is a lot of hours but I would much rather have a 2003 with a lot of hours over an older design (Walker has made lots of changes over the years). Components can be replaced. Oh btw, that engine is about $1800 or more last time I checked. But still considering the price of a new 23hp Walker ($9500.00 or more) this is still a decent buy.

I sold three used GHS Walkers last year: a 3 cyl Kubota 1998? ($4000), 20 hp MT 2000? ($3000), and a 20 hp MT 1995? ($3000) all were well used commercial machines but in working order...