Need some advice, please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Titans Fan, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about getting into irrigation. There is only one irrigation business in my area.

What is the best way to break into the business?

I know that Rainbird offers classes, has anyone ever taken a class thru them or any other co.

Thanks for all your input!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Work for someone else and do service and repairs.

3. Titans Fan

I also own a lawn care service, so that isn't really an option.

Are there any good schools that I can attend that anyone knows of?

Here in western KY, one guy has all the business (lol)!

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How do you attend school if you have a lawn care service to run? How many thousands of dollars are you willing to spend for this education?

5. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

Titans Fan,

When I decided to get into the irrigation business, I did not know crap about irrigation and now I am learning a lot thanks to field experience and the lawnsite members that answer my questions. I need a lot more experience in repairs, I have been doing several installs here and there.

First of all, find out if licensing is required in your state and if it is call the agency that regulates it and ask them for the requirements and take it from there.

6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I also have owned a landscape management company for years and wanted to get into irrigation. So, I bought an existing company (assets and accounts) and hired the previous owner as a consultant during the transition. This has allowed me to learn the trade (I hired a manager to run my two lawn crews) while having instant revenue.

I have taken some classes from Rain Bird (before the acquisition) but honestly, they are merely to get the green off of you. There I learned the verbage which allowed me to understand what the previous owner is talking about when I got in the field. Outside of that, they taught me how to install systems on the cheap and basically gleened nothing applicable for my niche market and the systems we install. Our business is mostly a service (majority on systems we've installed) one with only a few installations per year.

-Russ

7. Titans Fan

Thanks for the positive feedback, Hank!

My mowing business is fairly low-key, with 23 accounts!

Picking up additional mowing accounts in my hometown is hard because everybody and their brother mows here, there are about 30 different people here mowing.

That is why I want to get into irrigation.

Any more feedback on classes would be appreciated!

Thanks!

8. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

it sure is hard,dirty work.....hard and dirty.....did i mention dirty?:rolleyes:

9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I too got into irrigation to augment expand our business. There are plenty of high-end grounds maintenance accounts around here but the money [here] is in irrigation. I can generate nearly as much as my 3-man grounds crew in an eight hour day.

I'm in a unique area though I'm sure there are similar ones around. There is competition but most install junk and it's an easy sell on quality and service.

If you have a good business head, it doesn't matter what you are doing.

Again, buying a business puts money in your pocket immediately. Starting from scratch may cost less initially but you will be further ahead in the long run going my way (with a good company). My biggest problem I see is the lack of labor.

-Russ

10. Titans Fan

Thanks again for your input Russ. I really don't see the only guy in the area getting out, though.

I wouldn't if I was him - LOL!