Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenClips, Aug 12, 2006.

1. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

well i need some advice.... i live in Iowa and i was wondering what kind of trailer i should get an enclosed or open. i don't have room in my garage to store it so it would have to be out in the open. in the winter i would be able to store it in a friends barn out on a farm. finance wise i don't know if i could afford an enclosed trailer i need a 6x14 or 6x16 trailer and i don't want to spend more then $2000 for it i also have to buy a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck :( well i would really like some sound advice.... o and what size of truck do you guys think i should go with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck thanks a lot

Matt

2. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if you could get a enclosed trailer ,of the size you want, for under 2000.00, so I personaly would go with an open trailer. But how many clients do you have on an average basis? If you estimate your profits will be much higher next year, then why not spend a little more for an enclosed trailer? plus with an enclosed trailer you have a bigger addvertising space and your equipment will always be secure on the job and out of the weater. For a truck I like Fords F250 pickup or Fords F450 Landscape Dump. The landscape dump looks good with an enclosed trailer, but on the other hand this truck could run you an upward of 32 thousand dollars. It might be better to get a F250 with a dump insert,maybe from Truck Craft. My buddy has one and it works and looks great. The two trucks I was taking about were 2005 and aboves. You could get a much cheaper older or used one, but how much work would you have to do to it and how much money would you have to invest in keeping it running? So if you have a decent client base, and look ahead to your future and what will last, I would go big. With a Ford F450 dump, that also allows you to get more done in a shorter period of time. Hope some of this helps!

3. GreenClips

well thanks yeah i have like 15 weekly accounts and a few bi weekly accounts i don't know if i would need a dump truck I'm not really planing to go into the landscaping business yet.... what would be the side affects of leaving your equipment out in the open. i mean i would have a tarp on it but i don't really know the side affects.... and how much do you think i would have to spend on a used 6x16 enclosed trailer?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When I started we had a trailer that was open and would fit into the garage. Leaving it outside is okay except equipment can be stolen off a trailer even when locked. A F150 would be quite sufficient for pulling a small trailer and think about gas mileage, get small 6 cyclinder. The 4x4 trucks are very inconvient to get stuff in/out of the bed, like gas, shovels, racks etc. I guess our trailer was 5x8 we had a 35" WB and a 21" mower. We had a cage built for blowers on front and WB slide under it. Our trimmers were on a side rack that was custom built.

5. GreenClips

well this is where it will be stored right in front of our house in a pretty nice neighborhood i would take the same stuff out like:trimmer blower gas cans push mower and other same things like that it would mainly be the two walk-behind mowers.....so what do you guys think

6. GreenClips

i know you guys can do better then this........for some reason when i write a post no one ever comments......thank you all that have commented so far

7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I think open trailers are easier to work out of, you can see all of your equipment, you can just reach over the side and grab something that you need. The open trailer is cheaper and it is easier to see around when you are backing up.

The enclosed trailer is more secure and keeps your equipment out of the rain.

I think the main thing is to get one that is big enough for you. Always go bigger than you think you need. You will be surprised how quick you will fill up the trailer.

Good luck.

8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

the worst mistake we made was getting too small a trailer. you need at least double axle with electric brakes each wheel and 5 leaf springs on each wheel - not the three leaf springs that some shoddy outfits try to saddle the newbies with.

get a 60-72" wide depending on the roads you operate on and at least 15-16' length for starters. this at lest accomodates one z, a wb or leaf blower, and one push trim mower. two foot rails with mesh on an open bed and same mesh on your tailgate (and front passenger curbside-sidegate) are a must. these can be gotten for $1700-2500, and alot less if used.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah I'd get at LEAST a small road train.

See here on this one, wag 1 carries the Wb's on the bottom with the Z's on the second tier, then wag 2 has the trimmers and blowers tier 1 and rakes / barrows / shovels / etc tier 2 ok, and while wag 3 holds all the fertilizers / pesticides / herbicides and of course don't forget lime, wag 4 has topsoil on the first tier and mulch on the second while the crew rides in the rear wag.
    It's great, you never forget anything because you couldn't fit it.
    As for money, US $1,000 should buy two front tires on the Mack.
    [​IMG]

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Wait another month. The want ads will be full of trailers and homeowner mowers. Cheap too.