1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JustinPowell22, Oct 5, 2006.

1. JustinPowell22

JustinPowell22 LawnSite Member

Whats going on guys. quick question how do you all price your annuals as far as installing them. Do you price it by the tray or each individual plant. My trays come with 15 in them. Let me know what you guys are charging for this. thanks.
  2. JustinPowell22

ps I have 115 trays to install. Id say average person could install 6 trays an hr. So I get a total of 19hrs on install work. With 2 guys on it Id say it would take 2 (9hr) days. So for just labor install im looking to charge these people around $1,000 let me know if you think thats a pretty accurate estimate
  3. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

That is just about the same amount that I came up with.

What are you planting? Do you have the plants delivered to the site? What preperation does the site need? Please tell us more!
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, that works out to $27 per man hour. Is that your hourly rate????

Seems hella low to me. But then again our hourly rate is $60.00 per man hour. And I charge from the time we leave to shop to the time we return. So I'd bid this job this way; 2 (10 hour) days x 2 workers = $2400.00 in labor. Plants cost me $.85 wholesale but typical retail price around here is $1.50 so I charge $1.50 per plant. On a larger job like this I might decrease my mark-up to $1.25 per plant. So then I'd have 115 flats of 15 per flat (1725 total plants) at $1.25 ea. works out to be $2156. I'd charge $4556.00 total price for that job. And we keep multiple crews busy at those rates 40-55 hours per week, 10 months of the year at those rates.

Now I don't know Casselberry, FL prices real well. But I would think that the Orlando, FL area would be similar or even higher in price points than the Portland, OR area is. So it seems to me you're charging about 1/2 as much as you should. Which, incidentally, is exactly what I used to do several years ago.
  5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

$1,330.00 flat rate. why loose money for 19 hr, with a discounted rate? what is your hour rate?
  6. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

i get 1.75 each in the ground including prep work(1725@1.75=3018.75) its to hard to figure man hours ahead of time on jobs like this so i take the average and figure that some times i make a little more than others and also more consistent pricing to the customer, of course that price is for a minimum of 100 annuals
  7. JustinPowell22

Well with my bid at $2,676.37 wasnt good enough!!!! my trays come in 10 actually so there was a total of 1500 begonias to be installed and also that price included 2 pallets of sod and install.
  8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

This last post made no sense to me. Your bid was 2600 and you did not get the job? Or you did the job and paid for the privilege?

Flowers here come in
    • Flats/Trays with 6-pac's either 32 or 48 plants, 38.00 per flat installed
    • Flats/Trays with 16- 4"plants 34.00 per flat installed
    We also charge for prep at 40 per hr plus 55% mark up on materials soil amendment, fertilizer, fungicide drenches etc.