1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need some advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by aaronb2681, Dec 14, 2006.

1. aaronb2681

aaronb2681 LawnSite Member

Hey there everyone. I am trying to get a little advice from some professionals who have been in this business for a while. I helped my grandfather start this business back in 1998. I was 16 at the time. He put the business in my name so that when I got older it could be mine. Well after spending time in the military and then not knowing what I wanted to do when I got out, I finally took it over in April of this year. Since taking it over I never really knew how serious I would be with what we do. I thought it was just mowing grass, but it is not. It is taking care of our customers beautiful lawns and there landscaping. And now I want to do more for next year. We have already grown about double what we were when I took over. We offer mowing and landscaping, seasonal clean up and things of that nature, but I want to really start taking care of the lawns with aeration, fertilizing and all of those sorts of things. This is where I need some advice. I don't want to jump in and do something that is going to bite me later because I do not know enough about it. If I could get some advice on this I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you seem to have a nice base which is really good to fall back on if this doesnt work. i think aerating is more than the average guy makes it out to be they go and rent a machine and it only plugs an inch or two. a true plug to get the soil breathing is atleast 4 inches...it always helps to over seed the property when this is done and it is a great extra service to offer also you can fertilize at this time too to get the fertilizer deep into the ground which brings up another issue you will need to check with the laws in your state with applying fertilizer you may need a license. also if you want to do more check with your customers and ask what else they want done and they may offer you more work or stir up more ideas on extra services to offer

ps 1000 post