need some advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Guye, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Lawn Guye

Lawn Guye LawnSite Member

I was thinking about starting my business up this spring just going to do it part time this summer and if everything goes well go full time next year.
    I was wondering about what size trailer i should start out with and what type of mowers side discharge,bag ,ect what brands are good and what brands are bad i already have 20 accounts this year but havent ourchased any equipment this year lol. All the jobs i will be doing this summer will be smaller yards where all i need is a walk behind and if everything goes well will be purchasing the bigger untis this fall for next spring any help i would app. thank you

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would personally buy a 16' trailer that way when you do get more mowers you will still have room on your trailer for them. instead going out and buying another trailer. all residentials i would look into an exmark 52" tthp.

3. Villa Lawn Maintenance

Villa Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

We use 12' and 14' trailers to carry our equipment around. I would recommend using commerical grade equipment if you can afford it, it will last longer and perform better. I use Honda Commerical HRC216 Hydrostatic and Toro Mowers. I also use Echo Edgers and Sthil Weedeaters and Redmax Blowers. As for bigger units I would check into exmarks and yazoo ZTR's I use them both.

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a 6X12 or 14 like they said you allready will have the trailer room for next year. The equipment would have to be commercial grade. and you can get a grass catcher for those that want it bagged and you will have plenty of room for bags on the trailer Do some shopping around everyone has their favorite We use Toros do proper maintenance and they will last forever.
    I can say this Kawaski engines!
    Can I say this do you need a trailer because you could just run a WB in the back of your truck. just my opinion.

5. Lawn Guye

can you show me some links and pics of a bagger system thanks

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

Lawn Guy
    Their all kinds for different mowers we have grass gobblers on our Z's they can be taken on and off. Each mower type is different I will find some links for you.thou. You can go to Tra Vac if you want powered. or go to one of the sponser forums on here. there is all kinds.

7. Lawn Guye

Do you take your clipping or bag them up and leave them?

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

We take them, and charge a per bag amount. We dont have alot of customers that ask that we bag. You could allways put a mulch kit on your WB too.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

16' tandem axle trailer may be more than you need right now but with 20 yards now it won't be long before you will so buy a 16'.