1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GMCWAYNE, Oct 25, 2007.

GMCWAYNE LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm new here, found this site a few weeks ago. I live in Southern Minnesota. I have about 4000 sq ft of turf. I don't know what kind of grass I have. I've lived here for 8 years. I started mowing a little higher (3 1/2 inches) this year.

I live on a corner and have alot of boulevard. One section of boulevard died out this summer and is overgrown with weeds, mostly wild violets. I don't know for sure why it died but I suspect lack of watering. The area in question had a tree shading it for many years until this year, tree was cut down last fall. It could have also died from grubs but I've never had a problem with those before.

I need to fix my lawn. Two weeks ago I sprayed this section and spot sprayed the rest of my yard with Weed Free Zone. I think I got a pretty good kill. I also spread winterizer fert. the same day.

I know it's too late in the fall to start new seed now. We're starting to get lite frost at night here now. Daytime highs are in the mid 50's.

What about dormant seeding? I bought some Lesco double eagle seed yesterday at Home Depot. How long should I wait to overseed for dormant seeding? How should I prepare the bare spots and the rest of the lawn?

The local rental place has power rakes and core aerators for like $24/2 hours. They don't have a slit seeder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

here in north texas i tell my customers to fert and aerate around labor day and valentines.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

GMC Wayne, Double Eagle is ALL perennial ryegrass.

(Somebody else help me out here- Is perennial rye what he wants in S. Minnesota as a permanent grass?)
  4. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

Check out this site, it might help.
    I found it through the Penn State Turfgrass management website.
    It helped me out, at least you will have something to go by..

GMCWAYNE LawnSite Member

I dug up a little soil to test and found these...

GMCWAYNE LawnSite Member

I'm assuming those are white grubs I found. Can anyone help me with what insecticide I can find and use in Minnesota? Also is it too late in the season to treat now?
    What about those wild violets. Should I just roundup those now before I overseed? The herbicide I used didn't seem to take them out. They are tough ones to kill.
  7. Landude

Landude LawnSite Member

No, they don't look like grubs. Some kinda worm.
    What's you temps like there? Not sure if it's too late to treat or not.
    Need one of the pro's to chime in.
  8. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member