need some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by formerscrub, Dec 9, 2001.

1. formerscrub

formerscrub LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I need some help in purchasing a wb mower. I use a toro proline 21 for about 20 midsize lawns and i am looking to expand next season. I need a decent midsize (maybe a 32 ) wb but i'm not sure if thats the way to go or should i use a 26 inch (ive seen a commercial snapper of that size) Any help or direction would be great.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I looked around at everything I could find that was larger than a 21" and smaller than a 36". The only two mowers I found that looked well built for commercial work were the Toro 32" wb and the Bobcat 32" wb. Others I looked at were not built sturdy enough to suit me. I finally bought the Toro 32" with the Kawi. engine. It has worked out really well for me. It has lots of power, fits through 36" gates, and has a nice cut.:)
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a 36" commercial. Find out what models are available in your area. Go try them all. The biggest dif in WBs is operator controls. Find one you like. I would suggest a hydro with electric start. I will get bashed for that but so what.

Things to consider when looking.

1. are hands protected when turning.
    2. ease of oil change
    3. deck quality
    4. ease of adjusting height of cut
    5. sulky

If you are serious about cutting in 10 years this will be your fenced back yard speciality machine.
  4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest you look for a exmark 32or 36 there good.
  5. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1991 32 scag gear drive that I bought from a landscape co. this is a very good machine fits through alot of more gates than a 36 can sorry to say that scag doesent make hydro for a 32
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

And just use the push mower for gated yards. It will take a lot of yards to pay for a 36" walk behind that would be lost in bigger yards.

7. OK who make a 36" with electric start?

1 how?

2 maby

3 yes

4 not on a fixed deck

5 yes

Encore and Exmark make hydro 32"
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if u r doing small res with gates, i have found the 32 to be best. i have an exmark 32. the 36 would not go through alot of gates, the 32 fits through every single gate ive come across and has the power to cut wet grass, high grass, whatever. give your 21" to a little old lady.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Either get a 36" or get an exmark 32" hydro and get Brad to put a flex deck on it. Everyone likes more INCHES.:blob3:
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

LGF I guess there are't any elect. 36's. I figured there would be, my smallest WB is 48". I believe snapper makes a control system which keeps the hands on the inside of the bars so when making inside turns next to a fence or wall your hand doesn't become the nerf bar.:eek: