Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dothelawn, Aug 21, 2002.

1. dothelawn

dothelawn LawnSite Member

I know this thread is misplaced, but I sure could use some advice. I posted the following on the Homeowner's Assistance board, but have gotten no replies.....

Hi everyone,

New here and really like this place.

Anyway, would greatly appreciate some advice.

I can buy an '01 Simplicity Coronet 14HP Kohler w/ 34" cut for $1700 + tax. Seller (dealer) says mower has been demo'd once for about 10 min., is started daily to move in and out of store. It is also reported that it has a slight amount of paint fading from the sun, but not that noticeable. I have not seen mower and will have to buy sight unseen, due to being 100 mi. from store. I suppose I could reject it if it really wasn't represented truthfully. Seller will deliver free, just wants to sell machine to make room for new inventory.

Is this a good deal??? Thanks a lot, guys.

By the way, I'm cutting about 1/2+ acres, hilly with some large planters and trees in the back. Been using a third-hand '87 JD RX75, 30" w/ 9 HP Kawasaki for the past three years (1st rider). I believe it still has some value for resale.

Thanks again.

2. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

wish i could help but oi'm not familiar with this mower. Price sounds good compared to other mowers this size
    Dennis

3. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

That's not too bad - probably could get him to go down a little on price since it is almost 2 years old and it has been outside. Starting and stopping the mowers to move them outside can be rough on the engine - the engine does not have enough time to heat up and burn off excess condensation in the engine. Good thing is that you will be getting the full warranty, which I believe is 2 years. As for the machine itself, it is built well for a residential rear engine rider. Simplicity has built their name on delivering a quality machine that delivers a quality cut. My suggestion to you is to either have the dealer send you some pictures (digital if possible over the internet), or drive up a take a look at it yourself.

4. dothelawn

Thanks for the info. guys. I appreciate it.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As far as tractors go, Simplicity has ALWAYS had a good and noteworthy standing in the industry. Though they (the name) are compared closely to a department store quality, these tractors have always held up well. Far better than the department store brands.

6. dothelawn

jkelton - many thanks for your suggestion to have the dealer email some digital pictures. He did and the machine looks really good. If it's sun-faded, I can't tell from the photos. It looks brand new.

For the price, I think I buy.:D

Thanks again, guys.:)

7. dothelawn

Hi. I'm dothelawn and I'm a dip$hit. The freaking mower was used!!!

At least I had the nads to turn the guy down after he drove 100 mi. to deliver it. I did offer him some $ for his time and trouble, but he turned it down.

The mower was definitely used, but hyped as new. bull$hit.

How does that old saying go?..... If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Fvck:mad:

8. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

Your a better man than me. If he misrepresented himself I would of been asking for money for my trouble, than offering money for his.
    Dennis