need some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northeast, Jul 8, 2000.

1. northeast

northeast LawnSite Member
    from maine

I know this has been brought up.<br> I am bidding on 7 cemeteries monday noon is deadline,have figured 100 manhours for mowing and trimming,they also want a good cleanup before memorial day2001.The town wants a 3 year contract. So, how much per year ?????? woul like to hear from others doing this type of work. we have the right equipment for this job,and it is local.any help on this would be much appreciated.<br> thanks NICK

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i would charge 40-50 bucks an hour. At 50 bucks a hour it would be 5000 to cut all each week. Times 5000 by the amount of cut per year...lets use 32.....thats$160,000 per year for the mowing. As for the cleanup i use ussually charge 4-5 times what i charge to mow but on cemitaries it depends on how many trees there are. Youll have to figure out the man hours involved and add it by 4- 50 an hour. 100 hours a week is alot of work! Thats over 14 hours a day to do the cemetaries weekly If your doing them alone. I hope these will be your only jobs! lol

3. northeast

from maine

Evan528,<br> thanks for the response. they only need to be maintained May-September.I have a four man crew that could mow it out in 3 days.this is the first year the town will be hiring the work out.the town manager said 3 guys push mowed it in 75 hours or 25 hours per man.they did not do any trimming.thats why my figure is higher on manhours,we will have to trim around the stones.my lazer hp will save a lot of time,but i am going to bid it as all pushmow,thats what they think we will be doing.I will try and find out what the town budgeted for it monday am.

4. northeast

from maine

evan,forgot to mension it only has to be done 2 times a month.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I know that things are different in all parts of the country but I'll put in my 2 cents. I have a cemetary in my backyard and I personally wouldn't ever consider bidding on it for a few reasons. #1 is that you are working for 10,000 customers - not the dead ones but their families. I have talked to the guys that have mowed this and some people are always pissin at them. Clippings on the stones, planters damaged, too many weeds, haven't cut enough, cut too short, didn't trim well, it goes on and on. This cemetary is about 40 acres and has a real old section as well as the new and the guy gets 6500 per season and he has to be here for all the burials (he gets 35 per planting. He figures that between and his son helping they make between 6 and 8 bucks per hour. Hell I'll work at McDonalds before I do this. <br>Just my opinion, I hope you don't have this experience. Good Luck.<br>

6. northeast

from maine

mowed,<br> 6500 for 40 acres,I wouldnt touch that one.<br> all 7 are about 30 acres all together .Was thinking about 2,400 per mow twice a month for 5 months.24,000 for the season. Does this sound about right???? Nick

7. Since they are bi weekly you can split the workload by region in half. You need to figure travel time between each job.<p>At a 100 hours with 70% mowing and 30% trimming your approx cost would be<p>For mowing 1400 and trimmming 480=$1880 total<br>w/o making a profit.<p>Now add 40% gpm that's a sell price of $3133<br>without adding for the travel expenses and administration costs. For a total<br>sell price of $6266 + sales tax per month or<br>1566/ week or $31.33 per hour. <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lawrence stone

8. northeast

from maine

Lawrence Stone,<br> Thanks for your info it is a big help in putting my bid together.<br> The town would like a three year contract,should I allow a increase for the next two seasons? how much?<br> Thanks again, Nick

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Cemeteries- Figure 2x what you would charge to cut the same area as a residential lawn. <p>Who is going to cut it in April and October? <p>Remember, cutting it on a 14 day cycle in the spring will de a little more difficult than a regular weekly account.<p>Yes, put in an increase for the following years of your contract.

10. northeast

from maine

jaclawn,<br> Thanks for the response.<br> Up here in Maine we start cutting about the first week of May.The town only wants them maintained May-Sept.<br> Nick