need some advice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kirbyap, Mar 5, 2003.

1. kirbyap

kirbyap LawnSite Member

me and friend this summer are going to combine and start our own business. ive been mowing since i was little and i am 16 now. ive had my own little business going for roughly 3 summers and it wasnt working too well, so i decided that maybe if i had a partner we could do more and make more money. i was wondering if anyone had any tips on advertising. ive put a ad in a local school directory that has 900 kids but have got no calls yet, i guess its still too early. i was also just wondering for any advice or tips from professionals or non-professionals with good advice in general that can help get us started and get alot of yards, we'd like to have around 20. im going to continue reading this website for advice and such, but if have any direct advice for me and my friend please email me at kirbyap@yahoo.com or just post it.

Reed and Tyler
    Lone Star Lawns

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome lone star lawns
    I like the name. first off give us a little info on the equipment you have and what you are using to haul it all around with. are you doing this after school or just on the weekends.

reed & tyler
    remember your schooling should come first. there will be plenty of time for working when you get school out of the way. but nothing wrong with making a few bucks in your free time.

3. kirbyap

kirbyap LawnSite Member

well my equiptment is the following:
    1999 Chevy Silverado Z71
    John Deere 14PZ 5.0 HP 21' push mower
    John Deere 14SB 5.0 HP 21' self perpelled
    Stihl FS 80 weedeater
    McCulloch Blower
    i think Bridges and Straton (sp) walk behind edger

thats all my equiptment i havent noticed what tyler has but i mean he has mower, edger, weedater, and blower.

for right now we jsut use the truck for our stuff to haul around but that was just when i as doin it so we plan on getting a trailer here i nthe future.

we are doing it only on the weekends right now but will do it all week long during the summer

Reed and Tyler
    Lone Star Lawns

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Affordable advertising: Neighborhood newspapers, homeowner's association newsletters. Read the various threads about flyers. Do not put rocks in baggies with your ad and throw them on people's property. Do not put anything on/in a mailbox. Get busy soon and you'll have plenty to mow later.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

My first question is why was it not working so well? If it was not going well for one of you, it's going to be more rough with two people splitting the profit. :confused:

6. kirbyap

kirbyap LawnSite Member

ya i have thought about that many times but it was rough due to that fact that my accounts were people that happened to all ove away. i had around 6 yards at one time to do by myself which was good but more wouldnt hurt, then it seemed all in one i got dropped form all of them and had maybe on every week. so i was hoping for the 2003 season that we would have around 20-25 dependable accounts that wouldnt flop.

thanks for the advice and guidance so far, keep it coming :D

Reed and Tyler
    Lone Star Lawns