need some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToG, Apr 1, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i just read the $$$'s per acre thread and was wondering. i just dropped off a proposal today at a home that is on a 1/2 acre lot. we are offering them a few different options.

1) $118.75 per month for 8 months/25 visits, that comes to $38 dollars per visit

2) paid in full, $885.00 for 8 months/25 visits, that comes to $35.40 dollars per visit

3) a group rate including the two adjacent properties, all similar, at $750.00 paid in full or $95.00 monthly for the main property. $862.00 paid ind full or $109.00 monthly for the other two properties. that is $30.00 for the main prop/per visit and $34.48 per prop/ per visit for the others.

the homeowners are into marketing and asked if we would supply them with a number of different proposals to chose from. they had stated that they are very persuasive and may be able to help us out with obtianing their neighbors as clients, that the reason for the third proposal.

my question, how far off am i? my girlfriend seems to think that since this is our first year in business we should mow cheaper, although i have the experience and am able to prodcue quality work. i say that this IS on the low end, and to read this site. ive worked for others and know what kind of rates are able to be had, though not particularly to this area. again, these are ideal 1/2 acre lots with nothing out of the ordinary. they are in an upscale neighborhood, homes starting in the 300's. i put it to her this way, together we make say 40,000 a year:dizzy: , at this home there are three individuals that bring in an income, so even if they each only make around 66,000 a piece that's about 200,000 a year. that's a 1:5 ratio compared to us, $8:$40, and i sure as hell would pay somebody $8 bucks to mow a half acre for me.

advice from anyone would be great, especially those in and around central PA.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

You should raise them to about $60 per yard. I just bid on this one guy's yard $55 for just 15,000 sq. ft. and he accepted. It's a really easy ,flat, not too much trimming and deging. My neighboorhood is in the middle-class and home are around $90,000-$250,000. If I were you, I'd raise them. Charge what it costs for you to cut their lawn, not what you think would be good. Remember, don't bow down to someone just because they are hiring you. Charge what it takes to complete the job. Good luck.

3. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

ok, that's what i wanted to hear. i don't so much mind being a little low in my first year. i do have one question though, why is it that there seems to be not much difference in the pricing for 1/2acre lots and 1 acre lots. i think that may be what is throwing me off a little, from some extensive reading here on lawnsite i found it a bit confusing with prices of the two so simlar. i understand about charging what my market can bear, but it's hard to clarify the differences.