1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need some advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iluvbermuda, Nov 2, 2003.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

I have a problem that I need some help with please. I have a Snapper Commercial 21". Model #ECLP21601RV. Let me first say it is a piece of junk. Anyway, The dealer service is terrible. It is still under warranty and I have had 2 transmissions replaced. The last one just about a month ago. I then had a cable break 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting for that part. Meanwhile, the transmission is gone again. I can't even roll the darn thing now cause it is locked up. I can't just trash it cause It is still under warranty, but the dealer service is awful. Help please.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You may have to chalk this one up to experience. The only other thing I can think to do is to call snapper corporate and try to get them involved. Good luck.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I still think a $150 Murray 21" is the way to go. I have one that is 2 1/2 yrs old and runs great. Of course the one I bought 5 months ago is ready for the dump. Either way it has enough parts to keep my old one running for quite some time.

A piece of equipment that costs you a lot of time is also costing you a lot of money. A really good push mower is going to cost you over $700. I can buy almost 5 Murrays for that. If there is a problem with it, then it is gone.

Needless to say I don't use the push mower on more than 5 yards per week.
  4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My neighbor has blown up three of those murrays in a period of six months, mostly due to his stupidity. I tried to tell him they weren't meant to mow foot and a half tall grass, but it fell on deaf ears. In his case, a $700.00 mower would probably last longer.
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I would do...

The mechanical problems are excessive. Tell your dealer it is clear to you that the machine you purchased is a factory lemon and that you want the dealer to go to bat for you with Snapper in getting you a new replacement. That's step 1.

If they refuse or don't follow through, then it is time to write a letter to Snapper. Find out who the CEO is and write the letter to him/her.

Re: A lemon Snapper mower and poor service at the dealer level

Dear (name),

On (date) I purchased (model of mower) at (the dealer) in (the town and state). I chose to buy this Snapper model because I needed to have a good, durable small mower for my lawn maintenance business. I believed the Snapper brand had a good reputation and I placed my faith in your (model of mower).

A month ago, the transmission broke for the second time. And now this same mower is in the shop again waiting for the third transmission replacement! I am dismayed! In addition, a cable broke 3 weeks ago and still the replacement part has not arrived at my local dealer.

If you were in my shoes, how do you think you would feel about this?

I asked my dealer to find some way to take back my lemon and get me a new machine, but they were not responsive to my request. And not only that, I am highly unimpressed with them as your dealer representative because ________ and because __________ and because __________. (trash the dealer politely)

Mr./Ms. ____, I am writing to you to request that your organization take this faulty mower off my hands and either provide me with a replacement that works or refund my money.

I believe this request is reasonable and I believe it is appropriate that you see to it this problem is resolved. Perhaps you have a vendor problem or a design problem with this model? I don't know.

The thing is - I'm very unhappy with this product of yours. The problems are excessive and I want a new machine.

And I also want you to know that your dealer at (address) is probably below the standard you expect because (reason). I don't see myself buying any other equipment from them in the future. However, I am a fair person and I think I would be willing to reward your organization with future equipment purchases and positive testimonials to others in the business if you handle this problem the way it should be handled.

Please have somebody contact me at:

(contact info)

...so that we can go over the details of everything.

Thank you very much,

(include in the letter photocopies all repair order material and a detailed accounting of the problems, when they happened, and how long it took for the mower to get fixed)

If the dealer can't get results, go right to the top of Snapper.

Step 3 hmm... if this doesn't work, there is a step 3, but it is a bit extreme - negative publicity stunt. Probably too much trouble.

Good Luck!
  6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have to admit that was a great reply! Two thumbs up JustALawnGuy.
  7. iluvbermuda

from S/E TN

Great responses. I think I will try what justalawnguy said. That sounds very professional and somwwhat attorney-like. I don't want Snapper to jump over the moon, just make it right. I should have gotten another Toro or maybe given Honda a try.
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

If nothing comes of your mower, I use the 21" commercial Lawnboy. I cut over 80 houses a week with mine, and i've been in business for 5 years. I started with 2 mowers and still only have and rely on those two. I do keep up with the maintainence, but not like i should! Best investment I've made so far. If you do get fed up with your situation, go lawnboy.
  9. iluvbermuda

from S/E TN

fga, if you don't mind, what do they sell for? Thanks.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

iluvbermuda, They can get pretty costly. they have a few model idon't know the part#'s off hand,
    1)non commerial deck w/ commercial motor about $350
    2)Commercial deck/motor about $650
    Idon't know the exact prices where u r, most likely similar.
    I know it sounds like alot, but all these years, between the two mowers, i MAYBE spent $120, maybe. One muffler finally needed to be replaced and was like $32, but other than that, coils, filters, blades, cable, pretty cheap and durable. I have the total commercial mower 2)^, with the big gas tank, and protective bars surrounding the front of the engine.
    A customer of mine cuts his own grass in the spring and fall(cheapo) and leaves the hot summer for me, point is his lawnboy is about 20 something years old. Alot guys on S.I. have the same lawnboys in use averaging 8-10 years. The guy I originally started and learned with 11 years ago still has the same machine in his trailer, its beat up, but runs strong if he needs it.
    I've only had lawnboy so I don't really have a negative opinoin of other machines, i just know what I have.
    My machines came with a warranty, but I never had to use it. And believe me, they got worked, this year alone with all the rain we had in NYC, i was cutting some tall lawns! like I said, alittle costly, but the dependability and the money you save not having to fix it all the time have to count for something.