1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 4, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I run a summer lawn care that gets around 20 lawns a week (sometimes more/less).

I have a 33" Sutech (no comments please) mower and a Bobcat 48" hydro walk behind mower.

I would like to get a mower inbetween these two sizes and just use one (and hope I can fit through most gates).

Should I go ahead and get a 36" mower or should I look into a 42" (Husquvarna is the only I know of) or one of the Toro 44" mowers (not small enough I don't think).

I really haven't liked my 48" Bobcat Hydro that much. It just is too wide for most residential lawns and it scalps horribly since its a fixed deck. My main concern is quality of cut and its ability to mulch really well the first pass (thats the biggest time factor for me as it turns out). The 48" can't mow uneven ground at all.

So one question is where are some of the cheapest places to buy new/used mowers (hopefully a decent deal on the 42" Husqvarna lol)? If I can't afford that one I'd like to get a Hydro 36" with a floating/easy to adjust deck with 1 or 2 seasons on it. Any advice on this?

Also, my truck can't fit the 48" in the bed, so I need to get a trailer (more reason to sell big mower).

Anyway, what would some of y'all do if you were in my situation? 36"?
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have the 44" Toro Z100.I doubt it will fit in the truck bed,plus it's difficult sometimes just to back it up the trailer.I'd hate to try loading it in a truck bed.(Tires sliding)
    The lack of deck overhang leaves a bit to be desired when trimming around obstacles also.Can't hold a hill at all.
    Other than that,it leaves a great cut,does a fantastic job of mulching,is easy to get into small areas with,and is pretty quick.
    Just my .02....
  3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

ANything bigger then the 33" mower won't fit through most gates. I use a 44" toro WB and it fits through some of the larger gates. It's a good size mower and should fit in the bed of a full size truck.
  4. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

What's up with that Sutech :confused:

Here' the solution to your problem - the Gateway

With the wing up - it will fit on your truckbed and go through a 36" gate and you have the convenience of a 52" mower. Great productivity for a solo guy like you.

I dont have one of these as I have no fenced in lawns but if I did have then this is what I would've used.

5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Wright stander makes a 42", and Walker makes a 42" walkbehind. Im sure theres a few more.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I plan on buying a 36" wb, I measured my gate and some neighbors gates and they're all 36" gate but you have 1-2" on each side so i'm sure it will fit in most backyards, if not crack out the 21" push mower!
  7. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

I would recommend the Wright Stander 36" or 42" or the Wright Velke mower 36"is nice.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

The 33" mower isn't the problem. Its my 48" Bobcat hydro that won't fit. I have only had one yard where the Sutech couldn't fit through the gate.
  9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Just today I did an estimate on a gated yard that my 36" wouldn't fit into. The actual opening was about 36", but it was chain link, with hinges that protrude into the opening, cutting it down to about a 33-34" opening.

Are you planning on expanding or growing your business at all? If so I would be looking into a trailer instead of smaller mowers.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely makes a 34" ZTR rider specifically for this type of application. Why ride when you can sit,?