Need some advise for plantings in these areas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call last night about getting a design or working up a plant list for 7 or 8 different mulch beds that are to be redone and some fresh installs.

If anyone out there has any suggestions and or could put their suggestions into a design software I would greatly appreciate that. I have had a few installs so far this season but have had a lot of customer input about what they wanted to plant in the areas. This customer has no idea what they want other than the usual "Low Maintenance" which is said by every customer.

They do not want much yellow or whites, she does like purples and lavander and the husband likes reds. The wife does like the taller growing ornimental grasses.

Here is the front of the hosue. They just had a really nice flagstone walk and porch put in with brick solders on the outside.
    So it does not look like they are affaid to spend any money.
    They just want something that is going to look a lot better then what is there now.

Thanks for the help and advise.

picture 012.jpg

2. Gilla Gorilla

Here is a pic to the left of the front door.

picture 013.jpg

3. Gilla Gorilla

I was thinking of a half oval mulch bed about 8 foot wide in front of the walkways that connect to both of the walkways.

picture 014.jpg

4. Gilla Gorilla

Right side of the house. I will be bringing in some topsoil and building the grade up to just under the brick pavers of the walkways and then resoding that section on the outside of both walkways and stopping about a foot before this first step on the right side walkway.

picture 015.jpg

5. Gilla Gorilla

Here is the right side of the house

picture 017.jpg

6. Gilla Gorilla

Here is the garage side. I was thinking some boxwoods or azelas. They want the bed from the front corner to the rear corner and there will be drainage pipe run and buried into the woods.

picture 019.jpg

7. Gilla Gorilla

They want to matching triangle shaped beds at the front corners of the driveway and the one on the left side will go to the left of the light pole. Here is where I was thinking about putting in some 2 to 3 foot growing ornimental grasses and maybe some liriope

picture 011.jpg

8. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

How about some Photinia along the left side of the house. They grow quickly like euonymous. The have nice green - reddish foliage.

Easy no fuss planting for the front could be cherry laurels, but they are incredibly over used for foundation plantings.

Maybe some Rhodedrons with some purple flowers for the front or side.

Dirr (Manual of Woody Landscape Plants) mentions that star magnolias look excellent in contrast to brick walls. I would like to see one to the right of the garage, that could be limbed up as it grew and allowed to arch over the path. You could under plant liriope of various varieties for a nice effect against the pale bark of the magnolia.

Tried and true, go with some spreading yews for foundation.

Viburnums along the right side of the house, with an evergreen variety you can hide the a/c unit and gas meters, etc.

Also, some skip lauryls would work there. They will get tall and screen out a/c unit.

Perhaps some buddliea at the right corner to attract butterflies?

Is this enough info? I'm not too far north of you up here in Baltimore, so I think my selection should work in VA.

Best of luck.

9. Gilla Gorilla

Thanks Cullen. That sounds like some great planting advise.

I was thinking about some Rhodedrons at the front of the house also.

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I could see some arbs in between the windows, maybe some azelas, I like rhodes but you should see if the people are into caring for the shrubs, because rhodes can get huge and out of hand if not pruned. But look in boxwood, gold thread juniper, azela, arbs, maybe ramapo rhodes, spirera...just some of the plants I could see incorporated into the scape. Good luck with the job.

Jeff