Need some advise on a new lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jandreau, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jandreau

jandreau LawnSite Member

I need some advise. I planted a lawn for a customer. After we finished his lawn I told him as I tell all my customers if he has any problems or questions about the lawn let me know and we will fix it.
    About 3 weeks later I see this guy and ask him how his lawn looks he said it looks excellent but he had two small spots that didn’t come up so I went over the next day and patched the 2 spots he showed me the rest of the lawn and said he was happy with it, approx. 1 1/2 months later I was ridding by his house and see his lawn is covered with large brown spots but I didn’t have time to stop and look at them so I gave him a call that evening and asked what happened to his lawn. He started spewing off about all the weeds that were in his new lawn so he called someone to spray it, he wasn’t sure what they used but they put it on by hand and it killed everything including the grass. I would like to keep this guy happy but I don’t know what I should do now. Any suggestions? :confused:

2. it doesn't materr what you do he's not going to be happy, sounds like you did it right.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

why though? from what you described you haven't done anything wrong. the one that should have to answer to this, is the person that sprayed the lawn. all new lawns will have some weeds in them.
    why did you even call him?

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

The lawn should not have been sprayed for weeds for 1 year. That will sterlize new growth. If you cut reg the weeds will mostly go away. I tell my customers no weed and feed for 1 year , fertlize and lime yes no weed killer. The first year your trying to establish the root not a putting green.
    Mike