1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some advise on this one guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 23, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Yesterday a homeowner approached me and was interested in my services. He had a corner lot and had a fairly decent amount of edging and hedges. I gave him what I thought was a fair quote $110 a month for full service. The guy just looked at me and said where the heck did you come up with that price? He said I was a little high and there is guy that will do it for $75. He was not licensed or insured, came as no surprise. Lately I have been getting a lot of "your price is too high". My question is if I am higher than a lot of other guys should I lower my prices? I think most are no name unlicensed operations.
  2. WolfordLawn

WolfordLawn LawnSite Member

If they have no license then they don't need to be working and you should inform your customer of that. Turn the other guy in I would I don't play around with that kind of thing. If I have to have a license then so does the other guy.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have said, "So hire him then." Done
  4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

if you have a good amout of work already, don't lower your price
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Only you know what $$$ amount it takes for your business to be profitable. After you subtract all your overhead (licenses, insurances, equipment upkeep, taxes etc....) how much money do you want to put in your pocket?
    So to answer your question... no we don't lower our price once we give a bid. We price the job accordingly on what we need to make.. if they don't go for it, we won't go lower. Now mind you, we have been in biz now 7 years, so it took us a few years to figure this out.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Rod, why is it that you get to these before me.

My answer, so I guess you know who your new lawncare company is then don't you.

SFL, if you are getting anything over 30% success on your bids your doing fine. You may need more bids, but that is the threshold for proper pricing.
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Precision are you saying 30% landing contracts on bidden work? Or after all costs walking away with 30% in my pocket?
  8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

...If you have time on your hands and you are only picking your nose with it......then you need to take what you can get when you got a warm body in front of you. Find a way to the kitchen table and find a way to make a deal.

Time is the most useless thing on this planet unless you are using it to do something...like make money. And here's the kicker, you have to TELL time what to do. It's not going to get you up in the morning and make you get out there and hustle up some work. Time is perfectly suited to letting you sit on your ass and hope for what you want. You have to tell it what to do.

There are a lot of guys on this site that will offer up immediate opinions, boldly stated. "No way in hell..." ...etc.

When I first started in this business I took anything I could get and bargaining with potential clients was always on the table. I had time and no money. BUT BUT BUT.....EVERY SINGLE CLIENT GOT the same pitch. Licensed, Insured, Quality Work, Formal Education in the field and I ALWAYS was the first to state what I wanted for the work. NEVER ask a client what they think it's worth. They will tell you anyway without you having to ask. Pitch the quality, pitch why you are different, and then pitch that price. NO FEAR - only two ways to go here, they'll say yes or no. If they say no, find something on the lawn that is out of whack to justify your asking price and restate it. By now the client is most likely going to offer you information you can use.....like, "this other guy will do it for 75". There's your key. You now know where you stand with this guy. Try and strike some middle ground on the price while still emphasizing what is wrong. Look em in the eye, take your shades off so they can see you are serious. Let them know you intend to treat them right the first time. Most people will pay you what you want if you GIVE THEM the impression they are getting every pennies worth. Then deliver.

Nowadays I pick the yards I want and I don't drop the gate for less than a signed contract and a minimum of $110.00/month (mow, edge, trim, blow ONLY) Anything else is an opportunity for me to make more money. I am solo and don't want the headaches of employees so I collect cards from other LCO's in the area that are looking for work. No worries as to their ability to take me clients, they are stuck to me like super glue.

Keep your chin up and smile - you have your breath and heartbeat in the morning.....and you have your time. You are a CAN DO not a can't do. The subconscious CAN'T TAKE A JOKE so never say you can't. GO AFTER your clients, they may run but you are faster. Corner them in their kitchen and talk about their kids, then land em on the lawn.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Good attitude sniggly.................. :cool:
  10. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

NOTE: I edited the above quote, minorly:

Your advise is awsome... no joke... you should be a "personal guru" and CHARGE for it. (I just put $5.00 in the mail) That' was very well worded and some of the best advise I've ever read wether it was about lawns... or Life.

Keep up the good preachin'! It's words like that that keeps my faith "on" this planet. (Yes, I've had a few beers this evening) If I was to strip out the money and lawn references and just applied the above to Life, relaionships, sales, internal wholeness... just Sh;T in general... I'd be the "better" person I'm trying to be. (No I dont know or work for him)

Can I buy you a beer or three? (NO I'm not comin' on to you nor am I gay)