need some advise

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jiggarule69, Nov 7, 2007.

1. jiggarule69

jiggarule69 LawnSite Member

i just started my business this past year. i got one fulltime grounds keeping job but i just can't land any more jobs. the flyers and the business cards i put out well the cards are all gone and all the tabs are off the flyers and on top of this i advertised with the yellow book. the book came out in september and now its november so what am i doing wrong why aren't people contacting me please help
  2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Are you doing residential. Most residential customers are looking for the grass to go dormant. Do you offer any more services? You are getting started late in the mowing season. I would continue with flyers. Network. Talk to everyone everywhere you go. Let them know what you are doing, friends, associates, your banker, your church. Are you part time? If so, don't quit your daytime job until you know you can replace your income. Don't count on the phone book this late, might help next spring. Hope this helps. Persistence.
  3. jiggarule69

jiggarule69 LawnSite Member

Yeah this is my only job my weekly income is like 250. i do offer other services beside lawn care and landscaping. My other services are fencing, fall and spring clean up, snow removal, and decks.
  4. bobcat52

bobcat52 LawnSite Member

bud-- you're gonna want to advertise a ton come spring... here's the thing: most people already have their landscapers set for the year... come spring, they may want to switch to another company, in which case they may phone you... fall is the wrong time to advertise... if you're really desperate, try going door-to-door and talking with homeowners-- try to get some plowing accounts.
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I agree completely. I spend 90% of my ad $$ in April/May/June where I sign 1 or 2 lawn customers per week. I will run some targeted ads in September for Aeration and seeding. Right now I am running 2 ads for plowing. As said by bobcat52, in my area it would also make sense to advertise for clean-ups, but I'm booked solid.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Teh yellow book wasn't such a great experience for me either, thou you could say it was educational.

I did hear at one time someone say, if you advertise in a phone book you HAVE to answer every call or it doesn't work...
    Not sure what truth that holds but I would say there's something to it, for me it was the total number of calls I found disappointing.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Be patient, do good work and in time customers will start calling.
  8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience do not waste the money on yellow book, or the paper. Go and create a realy good flyer and put on every door you can. this is cheaper and the response is better. If you meet some one give them a flyer and card even if they do not need you the might hand it off to someone else. Be personal, Be patient, and Be out there talking to others, and be out there putting flyers out. I know foot work is hard but it will pay off.