1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some basic info on going legit, NJ LCOs or others

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pl1985, Sep 12, 2007.

1. pl1985

pl1985 LawnSite Member

New to forum and the business. I am wondering what the costs are to hire an employee above and beyond the hourly rate they make. Say I pay an employee 10/hr, what are the costs after the legally required benefits, plus don't I have to match the taxes he pays? Wondering what the net cost per hour is: NJ people can give a more accurate answer, but LCOs from other states let me know too.

MUDFLAP LawnSite Member

I dont have any full time employees now, but have in the past. I hired them through a employment service on a long term basis. They will charge you somewhere around 40% above the pay rate ( $10hr = $14hr ) but its worth it. They will take care of taxes/unemployment/workmans comp/ social security contributions/holiday pay/vacation pay/ etc. Its the only way to go as far as im concerned.
  3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

go talk to a cpa. they will have all the info on this for ya. im goin to talk to mine tommorrow.