Need some blade advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have always used the stock blades on my mowers and they do a great job when the grass is dry and not too thick,but if it is even slightly wet or somewhat thick the mower will start shooting out chunks and clumps.the mower that this seems to effect most is a Exmark turf tracer HP,19hp,52".I do keep my blades sharp and do keep the correct angle on the cutting edge,but every spring I find myself lying on the trailer scraping grass from the deck,sometimes every 3-4 yards.I have heard alot of talk about Gator and Meg-Mo blades,but have never tried them,Any suggestions? While I try to avoid cutting when it is still wet,I see some guys out there in the rain and it doesnt seem to be an issue.I even cut pretty high so I dont know what the problem could be other than blade choice.I remember when I first started someone once told me to smear cooking oil on the deck,i never did try it though!I have been doing this for 7 years now and still find this site very helpful and informative,Thanks to all for the great advice.

2. bluetick

bluetick LawnSite Member

Mike

I believe the problem your having is more a function of the deck than the blades. In other words the deck has pockets that hold the grass until it finally has to fall and plop another "turf turd". Maybe some gator blades could help not sure?

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I use double blades on each spindle all year long. An oregon (Gator type) on top and a regular blade below. Here are some pics.
    I never clean decks. This set up eliminates the amount of discharge by approx 50%, so we do not have any noticable grass laying on top. Also the biggest benefits are as follows.
    1. We mow in the rain, dew, etc, with not clumping, and even though the decks may have some grass stick under them while conditions are wet, as soon as it stops raining, or the grass dries out the grass that was building up just disappears.
    2. They take less power to mow because there is not near the discharge, and throwing grass across all three blades, plus out the discharge is what takes a lot of power.

Let me explain the power part. I discovered this accidently, but here is what happened. I was visiting my brother, and when I pulled up to the house, his wife was mowing with a 12 HP Yard Pro (Old Mower) with a on the fender shift as you go 5 speed transmission. It was windrowing, and she could only mow in 3rd gear. I found another set of "old blades" they had for the mower, and made up a set of doubles for the deck.
    1. The windrowing stopped due to lack of tremendous amounts of grass coming out.
    2. I mowed the rest of the yard in 5th gear, and the engine had plenty of power left over.

End of Arguement. Ha Ha.

Double Blade Pic.jpg

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You won't have enough power to run Meg-Mo blades with your 19HP engin. They draw a lot of power.

5. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I heard some bad news regarding Meg-Mo blade systems earlier,An Everride dealer said he had heard they may work well as far as clumping and grass build-up goes,but if you ever managed to damage or bend (dent) the disc,it could cause some serious problems,so he will not use them.Gene gls, do you use them? if so have you had a problem with a bent disc? what size engine is typically used with Meg-Mo systems?

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a set for my EverRide Warrior 27/60". Only ran them 1 day because they over load the engin.

7. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

Are those blades welded?
    It sure looks like. If so, I would not recommend it. Without know what Grade of steel you are welding you would have no way of knowing if you are making the steel brittle. Just install with only the bolt. They won't move unless you hit something hard. And if you hit something hard with a brittle blade it may go flying.

8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

^^AMEN TO THAT^^ I just tighten mine up as tight as I can with the impact. Yes they will close up if you hit something. Just loosen it up and readjust it.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought that you were running Meg Mo's?