Need some brake fluid help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by srl28, Dec 29, 2009.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Forgot to mention if it was hot brake fluid it will tear it up even faster.

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the truck was runnin down the road at 50 or so, caliper grinding away at the rotor, so.....great!! lol

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

The road salt tends to freeze up the calipers. Never had a problem down here in Florida with calipers.

4. srl28

That would make sense. Salt messes up everything! I'll try the WD-40 as mentioned before on a small spot tomorrow and see. Otherwise I'm not sure what plan B is yet

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If it hasn't gotten too much into the paint you may beable to re-clear it.

You have a black truck the hardest paint colour to fix. It is why so many company trucks are blah white it is easy to fix.

I used brake fluid to strip the paint off of a old 1980s hood on a truck I was restoring it worked good :laugh:

I tried commercial paint stripper didn't work tried new brake fluid that worked but keep in mind paint used in the 1980s wasn't as hard as what is used today.

6. srl28

Just my luck of course!! so upset, wasnt much I could do though and I honestly didnt know it all happened for a while. Sure I felt the brakes were tough but nothing to this extent. We ll give the wd-40 a shot!

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Well anything can be fixed just a pain in the azz thou.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if this has been mentioned and I'm sorry to break the bad news but brake fluid is actually a low-grade type of paint thinner,
    something most folks don't realize but brake fluid works almost like turpentine in ways so what you're seeing is the effects of that and ...

You might try some Turtle wax and lots of rubbing and buffing, but...

Yeah...
    I'll bet it did :p