Need some chemical help..for school

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by snapper48, Oct 10, 2005.

1. snapper48

snapper48 LawnSite Member
    from Erie pa

hey guys, I don't usually read in this forum, as I dont do fert. but I am in school now and have to write a paper for chemistry on uses and applications, or breakthroughs of any sort thanks to chemistry..I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice or point me in a direction to incorporate some kind of fertilizer, bug spray, I don't know anything that has chemicals in it..I appreciate any leads... :)

2. SOONER GREEN

SOONER GREEN LawnSite Member

You might look into homogenized fert. Its fert that each prill has the exact analysis in it. In other words, if the analysis is 10-20-10, each prill has that in it. Lesco sells it under the name Novex I think it is.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper

Pesticides are ever evolving and You might attack that subject. Gone are the Old Broad spectrum pesticides which also had negative effect on man and we are now use species specific pesticide. What we in the industry are now calling "New Chemistry" is actually more refinement of some of the same old Chemical families. Only Now we refer to them as 3rd or 4th generation.

Throw in here How the Chemical industry is trying to better preserve the environment with these new Pesticides and you have a lot to research and write about.

Fertilizer trends have alway been to the slow release element compounds and You might want to research the evolution of the slow release and how it has also evolved. Up Until the formulation of Urea Formaldehyde in the 1950's Nitrogen was only available in a fast release. I believe in the last 50 years there has been quite a bit of technology taken place in the Green Industry. Once again point out how chemistry is making Horticulture better and at the same is more conscious of environmental issues.

We can only give you some Ideas, Not write your paper.

4. snapper48

snapper48 LawnSite Member
    from Erie pa

appreciate the help guys, that is certainly a leg up, I'll be checking into both of those things, especially the advancement in the slow release nitrogen, that sounds pretty interesting..Thanks again!

5. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Here's one for you to ponder. The major yield declines of organic farming. There was a study being done about organic farmers using manure, seaweed etc. and losing as much as 25% of the crop as opposed to farmers using chemical fertilizers and herbicides on the same amount of acreage. Scientific studies done on both crops found that toxicity levels were almost identical. It was done about 2000 in New South Wales, Australia.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper

You might want to add in the fact that slow release "N" is helping to eliminate Nitrate build up in our Surface and ground water. slow release "N" is normally totally used by the plant and this prevents leaching. Of course 78% of our atmosphere is "N".

UF was the first slow release developed and uses Long Carbon chains that are slower to break down. It also requires Microbial activity. The other form of slow release is coating the compounds with many different type of Polymers or in some cases carbohydrates. Today we have only improved on the Chemical bonding and Coatings that are used. I believe UF is still considered the best slow release.

As the price of oil rises, Fertilizer cost go with it. You may want to add in something about future Needs of more economy ways to produce Fertilizer. You may also point out the fact Grain production, which depends on Fertilizer, is the biggest thing we export any more. Agriculture account for 20 time the sales volume in dollars than Horticulture. But the Price per pound for agriculture is much slower depending on volume.

Good luck

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Garth

Since I am banned in the Orgasism forum for pointing out all the Miss information there. Please find and post that study in the Orgasmic forum. I am sure it may open some eyes.

Bridge products containing both organic and Synthetic fertilizer do have there place in modern Agronomy. These are especially beneficial for soils lacking SOM. Soil Organic matter increase CEC and hydraulic conductivity of Sandy soils and help infiltration and porosity of clay soils. I am believer in organic materials when used in conjunction with Modern science.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,
    I had no idea you were Banned from the orgasmic forum. that suprises me since You are a walking, talking encyclopdia of information on soil/turf managment.
    Just so they never ban you totally, you are a great teacher/instructor/mentor

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

Thank you for the kind words. I will accept responsalbity for being Banned from the Orgasmic forum. My attitude about some of the Miss-information there was extremely bad. It was not what I said, but maybe how I said it that caused a problem. You have read where many people refer to me as the Cantankerous Old Guy. Well the shoe fits, and I wear it.

BTW. I believe in the use of Organics. However I also believe in using modern science also.

10. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member