Need some creative ideas

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JeffY, May 7, 2008.

1. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

It's kind of hard to frame the question so I will give the background on what's going on. It seems that one of the companies we work along with at times who build athletic fields had an issue with one of their jobs. They had a contract to go in and raise the baseball field to make it level and smooth. Another irrigation company in the area who had previously installed the system that was there many moons ago was to go out and mark the heads prior to bringing in dirt for the new field. Unfortunately, they did not mark them very well and so there are a lot of heads buried under 18" of dirt. From personal experience, I can take years for a leak to occur from the heads in order to locate them and bring up to proper level. So, I've been given the task since I've been creative to figure out a way we can trace the pipe and locate the heads.

One idea was to cut the pipe after the valve and run a fish line through. It may not locate the heads, but at least we have an idea where the line runs. How about is there any thing out there that we can put in water that's metalic and put our inductive coupler on our wire locator around the pvc and be able to trace that? Is that worth trying?

Anyways, I'm just trying to figure out creative ideas where the work would cost less to locate these heads rather than install a whole new system.

2. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

Can you not look at the spacing and see where there is one missing here and there or are we talking about most of the field?

3. nylan8888

You can run the fish tape through the pipe with a single wire hooked to it and hook your 521 to it and follow the path but thats not going to help you find the heads.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What a screw up! Yup, we've found them by capping one by one, but 18" deep is a stretch. More info needed before I give you my helium fix.

5. metro1handyman

metro1handyman LawnSite Member

I don't know anything about sprinkler systems, but if they have metal heads, how 'bout a good metal detecter??

6. Compressed air...?

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

With water at the same time...but 18", wow.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

C4?????????????????

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I was gonna say. get back to your desk job. :)

10. nylan8888

Metal detector? Sheesh!

I've been saying for years now that we need a PLASTIC detector!:cool2: