1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some encouragement guys!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by riley1374, Apr 21, 2005.

1. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

I currently work in the crazy corporate world and have put a lot of thought into it, and want to leave. THinking about giving my notice this friday. I have all my equipment paid for, including a new enclosed 6 X 12, and just kind of need some encouragement to tell me I am not crazy. I have been advertising, and currently have about 7 jobs which is killin me doing these after working 7 to 5 at my current job. So i think now is the time to jump ship and go full bore in the lawn business. What do you guys think. Now when i say i am working in the corporate world, i am buy no means making a boat load. If i figure out the hours i put in, i am probably only making about $16 per hour. My wife is currently a physical therapist and makes a very nice paycheck with benefits and she is behind me 100%, but I am having a hard time letting go of that steady paycheck. So if you could, let me know what you guys think! Thanks alot, i really appreciate any responses, either positive or negative.
  2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

If you are confident your wife can support you during slow times then go for it. Keep in mind you have all winter with little to no income if it doesnt snow. I started off moonlighting and it worked ok for me. I would say if you are at an office job with 7 accounts after work and saturday and this is killing you already. You might be in the wrong business.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i would get more then 7 customers before i went full time..... try and get some referrals and build up the business to a full time level.

Let you know if it works, that is what im doing, now are these very big lawns..... shouldnt be killing yourself with 7 lawns i have a few more then that so far, but since the spring clean ups are done, things are much easier..

or are they really big lawns???/
  4. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Get the hell out of that place! That's where I was a few months ago. It's just my opinion, but I think that job is killing you, not the 7 accounts.

I would look for an easy part-time job and I would leave that place. It sounds like you are making about $40k at that job. Between you and your wife, you probably earn a little more than you need to survive. You are already making some money from the 7 accounts. Figure out your budget and figure out how much you are coming up short (if at all) with your wife's salary and the 7 accounts. Then, go get a part time job at Best Buy, or some other place where you get a good employee discount on cool stuff.

You'll have a lot more energy to put into the lawn care business and when business gets going good you can reward yourself with a plasma TV before you quit. If you are spending 10 hours a day at a job you hate, it will suck the life out of you and you won't have the energy to do anything else, no matter how badly you want to.

If your budget is too tight to get by on that plan, start spending less now and start putting more in savings. Start living like you don't have that full time job and when the time comes to leave, you will be comfortable living on less money and you will have more in the bank to cover you while yo build the business.
  5. riley1374

As far as the 7 jobs killing me, its not the actual work that is killing me, it is not seeing the family at all. I leave at 6 oclock in the morning, come home at 5, pick up the trailer, and dont return home till 9 at night. Not overly sized lawns, but about an acre. I feel if i was able to be out there promoting the business a little more, i could pick up a lot more work. The wife can definetely support me for as long as I need, and i have stashed enough away for this venture to keep me afloat, but i guess i just need some balls to just do it.
  6. riley1374

Thanks Pagefault, i needed to hear something like that!
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i like that, sounds like a win win situation, maybe something i will look into also.....but i dont think where im at now will be open very long... printing business is really bad...

if you can afford it id make the move then, my case i can not afford it yet.... but a bad day working for myself is still better then a good day working for someone else....
  8. Cut-Rite2

Cut-Rite2 LawnSite Member

You have all the equipment you need, and can live on your wife's income until your self-sufficient, go for it!!...time's-a-wastin', and summer's almost here.
  9. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

When a person gets to the point when the alarm clock goes off, and you have to use that stupid snooze button, or just dread getting up and heading off to your job or even thinks about "jumping ship" then I say it's time to go. You already answered your own question in my opinion. The main ingredient being that your wife is 100% in support of this both emotionaly and financially. I say jump and don't look back, let your good work and word of mouth advertising work for you and not " Management".
    ***But thats just me...........Good Luck, you will do great!
  10. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

Man, I wish I was in that boat. I would love to go full time. My wife stays home with the kids so I am the sole income provider. My biggest problem with going full time would be health care. My current employer pays a good chunk of that cost. For good family coverage it is pretty expensive. I am sure there are plenty of other obstacles, but I think for me, health insurance would be the biggest. If you've already got that though your Wifes job, then go for it.