Need Some EXpert Advice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JLIND2100, Oct 17, 2007.

1. JLIND2100

JLIND2100 LawnSite Member

hey guys whats up, i just have a question. I'm currently going to school and finally almost done. just one more class to go then ill have my associates degree in landscape design. But I'm not sure if i want to just go off and start my own company, or get a job with a landscape company and then after a year or two, start my own company. but i was think about going to get my cdl licenses and i was just wondering what you guys think or if any of you have it all ready and was it worth it for you to get it.

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

well, i dont have a degree in landscaping, but i think you should get out, go work for a landscape company for a year(at least). learn everything there is to know. learn how to do it all. this way youll have all that under your belt and then you can save up some cash and start your own business. this way you'll have experience with the true hands on work and you'll know all the little short cuts or what have you. JMO hope i could help...

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i suppose it could come in handy, dump trucks and all, good for you, your a smart guy.... what do YOU think YOU should do.........i bet if you think about it , you already know the answer:)

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

It takes money to make money. Go work for a co. and get some side work and save for what you want.:)

5. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Think in terms of your own long term success, not short term.

There is much to gain working for someone else for a year or more. Put your resume together, use your associates degree and find a good company to work for for a few years.

You will learn much more, and much faster from and experienced group than trying to figure it all out on your own. I'm not saying you are not capable of doing it on your own.

Good Luck!!

6. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

You can work for someone else and make them money or you can work for yourself and make your own money. as far as learning the trade, you will find your own nitch. The big guys started out small too.