1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some friendly advise..

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tenn89, Sep 1, 2007.

1. tenn89

tenn89 LawnSite Member

Hi, just thought i would post some pics. to see if any had some advice on what I should do with this. I was thinking about building a retaining wall, maybe 2 or 3 short ones, stepping back as I go up. I also would like to put a hottub in the center of the bank some how. Thanks for any comments

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

would be a great place for a wall system. I use the term system, because even if you terrace it it is considered a system. given the height you're going at you'll need an engineered system especially if you're doing this for a charge. I'm going to assume however you're the homeowner. In this case I'd probably looking into getting a professional hardscaper, preferably someone w/ experiance and a warranty on larger walls. You ideas I think are great, the hotub and a seating wall surronding would be really cool. Just for my benefit and others here how high is that bank?
  3. tenn89

tenn89 LawnSite Member

Yes I am the home owner. The bank at it's tallest point is almost 20 feet high. The biggest problem I think, is the property line is right at the top of it. The house was built so far back, which left not alot of backyard. Maybe you can see the stack for the property line is this pic alittle better.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would an excavater leave a mess like that on inital job, i see this at times though. A srw is about all you have a choice of pick some one certified this is a very large job and has to be done properly. It is going to be a major and life investment have it done right. Please feel free to keep us up dated with or pm me on estimates, etc. We can steer you in the right direction if some one is real of fly by night.
  5. tenn89

tenn89 LawnSite Member

I dont think there's anyone in this area that even does this kind of thing. I tried finding a dealer for Keystone and the closest one I found is about 118 miles away.
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well when you do find a contractor, you had better have your checkbook ready! Thats gonna have a steep price tag attached to it. I don't know how builders get away with things sometimes.
  7. tenn89

tenn89 LawnSite Member

Just off the top of your head, how much will a job like this cost if contracted out?
  8. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a hardscaping genius, but you would probably be looking at min. of somewhere in the ballpark of 35K.. I am not sure of this, that would just be my guess of what people have told me of similar size jobs. Some of the other guys can give you a better price.

9. tenn89

tenn89 LawnSite Member

More than I expected. Is there any other options for something like this? I could just landscape it, but in one part of the bank it is pure rock(Shell rock). Nothing could root in that.
  10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

This will be tooo big for you to do. I'm just telling you that now. You will need a fully engineered wall for a height like that. A contractor will have a crew of people working with big equipment to get the job done. Look into getting someone to do it, it might just save your hairline.