Need some guidance with ferts.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by calvarylandscapegroup, Dec 17, 2010.

1. calvarylandscapegroup

calvarylandscapegroup LawnSite Member

Hey everyone
    I've been in business for 3yrs now and want to get into fertilization.
    I have a few businesses that are looking for a 4 app program that includes a broadleaf and atleast 1 insect contol

I am looking to use lesco products and i do not have a license as of now but studing for one.

Also what is the average price to put a for app program down. Thanks!

2. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row and are ready to get into the fert business. You don't need a license to buy products at lesco so i wouldnt worry about that. If anyone gives you any trouble for not havinjg a license scream that it's a hate crime and most people won't put up much of a fight,

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Find out what Trugreen charges and go just above that. And do a better job. Drop by your Lesco office before they get busy next Feb, and they will sell you everything you need.

Please do not undercut anybody on this forum.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Pick up a few books about turf science, etc and read up on the subject.
    Knowledge is power my friend.

5. calvarylandscapegroup

Got any suggestions for some good turf science books? Like the scripture also!

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yes, it is titled turf science ironically. it is a good book. google it

as far as frank fescue goes, please ignore this guy, he is full of crap and wrong. get licensed.

7. calvarylandscapegroup

I do have every intention of getting licensed, and i will look that book up maybe i can get it on amazon for cheap. Thx grassman

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Check your county extension service's recommendations. That's always a good place to start. They'll give you recommendations for YOUR particular area.

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what frank is talking about. I first started doing fert in Rhode Island. My first season I was stopped two different times by the by state inspectors to check out my truck, pest liceanse, paperwork, msds, and watch me do the apps. If i remember right the only thing they got me for was spraying with a back pack up on one job and haing my sleaves rolled up on my long sleave shirt (not fallowing propper PPE) and I didn't have eye protection on while back pack blowing the driveway off.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010