Need some help, 25 Kohler Trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, May 28, 2001.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys. To those who have had a blown head gasket on a 25 Kohler, how did it act when this happened? After five lawns today mine started sputtering and backfiring and in general just running rough.

The warranty either ends today or tomorrow :angry: I was hoping someone could give some insight on what their Kohler did when this happened.

2. Keith

I messed with it a little more. It doesn't seem to be down on power (at least all that much), but it surges really bad without load. It sounds as if it picks up 500-700 RPM and then drops it right back down. Carburetion trouble?
  3. ljmey

ljmey LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Keith; it sounds like a good carb. cleaning is in store for you.
    I got a 22 hp kol. and it done the same thing, I just took the
    carb. off and gave it a good cleaning. Now it runs great. Don't forget the fuel filter. Use a good quality one.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like yours is a fuel filter or dirt in the carb. Have them check that. Also may be SMART SPARK module gone bad. Not sure how old yours is.

When the head gaskets go, it sounds like an OLD VW Bug on a mosquito patol smoke run!
  5. Keith

I don't know what happened. I just went out and messed with the choke and throttle cables and it now runs fine. I think the heavy rain we got caught in caused the cables to gum up or something. For the last two days the throttle has not responded until 3/4 of the way to full. Really strange part is there are little rubber boots on the engine end of both cables (protective cover). Well, the little boot had slip off of the cable cover and slid down near the throttle linkage. I would never have thought that would cause a problem, but I put it back where it was supposed to be and the throttle works properly too.

Thanks for your replies. It may not be fixed yet, we'll see tomorrow.

BTW, post #1000 :D
  6. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Keith,

Did you know that the day after your warranty expires the dealers have a little button they press?

7. Volhunter

Volhunter LawnSite Member
    from TN

My dealer told me he will not carry a 25 Kohler. He has nothing against Kohler, and sells a lot of them, except the 25hp. He said it came back for more problems than the rest of the Kohlers put together. I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but thought it might be food for thought for anybody reading and shopping too.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler has fixed the head gasket problem. Buy the 25 with confidence.
  9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

You couldn't give me that POS 25. Trade it in and go with a Kaw23hp. Good luck,Russ
  10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used both the 23 kaw and 25 kohler, I have a kaw now!! I will never go back to Kohler. The 23 Kaw runs a lot stronger than the 25 Kohler.