Need some help and input on a big bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffNY, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Big bid for us anyway.

They want fresh mulch put down, some around the trees will have to be removed because there's about 5" of it, weeds all need to be removed, bushes trimmed, and thats about it.

There's no dirt between the landscape plastic and 2 layers of mulch over it, so the weeds will come out fairly easy.

Keeping in mind, I was told the winning bidder gets 9 other properties as well.

There's 300 shrubs
    27 Tree rings (about 4')
    approx 8,350sqft of beds

How far off base am I?

Tree rings - 2 yards
    beds - 60 yards
    trimming - 300 x $5?
    Prob figure 6-8 hours of clean up (weeding and picking up trimmings)
    @ $35/hr? more? less?

$5500?

From what ive searched, it looks like people charge 15-25 per shrub, but I can't see that, these aren't very big.

If we start bright and early saturday morning, I'm wondering if its even possible to be done by sunset sunday. Running min. of 4 guys. Then the other thing, how the hell am I going to get 62 yards of mulch delivered?? Im going to have to make some calls for that, I was thinking about having 30/30yrds dropped on the west and east lot.

Any input would be great, esp with the shrub trimming price, im still kinda new to that.

3rd pic down, those wild things in the corners, should those be trimmed heavy, get them away from the building?

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

at 8350 sqf of beds you will be closer to 80 yards than 60 rent a skid steer to run the mulch around. see if you can get a tractor trailer load delivered. i believe a walking floor is around 80 yards and they can stop unloading and moveto different areas.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I don't know. I try not to do mulch for any less than 100 a yard when it comes to jobs similar to your situation. 80 a yard is a general rule of thumb, but when there is more labor involved, price goes up.

It looks like in some of your pics, that the beds will need to be edged. You also stated that there is fabric. I'm going to venture to say some weeds are going to be rooted in it and you will run the risk of pulling it up. Not to mention trying to not get a bed edger wraped up in it. If I were you, I would use a weed eater, cut it down, spray roundup, mulch, and come back in two weeks to spray again. Much less labor involved.

I would come up with two bids. Add at least 1000 ( I would go 2500) to your lower one. Tell them that it is the lowest, but not the best bid. Your hauling should be around 1000, that's why I think it is low.

Then I would add about 5000 and tell them if you want it done right, go with this bid. That includes a true landscape renovation, with all fabric and mulch removed, and either no fabric, or new put down, preen, prunnings, ect.

Make sure you explain everything in detail for each bid. Many of times people have used me because they think that they are going to save money in the long run when they invest in the larger bid, and get there landscaping back into managable shape.

Don't forget to sell them on future maintenence so they don't incure such a large cost all at once to re-do someone elses' mess.

I would go 45-60 an hour labor for all those shrubs. I looks like one guy could do them in one day with cleanup.

Clark lawn is right, it will be closer to 80 yards, especially if your removing mulch and will have to build up again.

Worst case scenario, they like your style and thinking, and they want to meet in the middle.

Like the sig states........

4. JeffNY

I wish I could charge $80-100/yrd around here, but if you want the job, I think $60 is about all you can get.
    I lifted up some old mulch, its heavy plastic underneath, not that nasty cloth, the entire construction of the place isn't more than 2 years old. He didn't mention edging, but I can add that as an option to the bid, but like ya said, its only going to end up ripping the plastic up.
    Can't spray roundup, unless I break the law, which I think is a stupid one anyway, I can spray it all over my yard, but not someone elses, whatever, we have to play by the rules with this one, if we get it, I know one person thats not going to like us.

Im typing the bid up now, should I itemize all the charges, or just list everything im going to do, then the total?

5. JeffNY

oh yeah, bid is due by like 8am tmr.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Itemize, but don't tell them total amounts. Just list the item, and how much it will cost.

7. dutchman

dutchman LawnSite Member
    from CT

I think you are a little on the Low side. It depends how much your mulch cost. Around here that $40 a Yard deliverd. Mulch will cost $3200 and trimming is $1500 you allready at $4800.

You better make sure you have your numbers right or you will lose mone on it.

8. JeffNY

$24/yard, but the guy I buy it from only had about 20/yrds on hand at a time, so im going to have to go through his supplier, for hopefully the same price.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Here we go again...dont take the other 9 properties into consideration at this point. If there are 9 other properties, they would have included it into the bidding now. Future promises mean zero to me. But thats only my opinion after 15 years of hearing them. Price it to make money, do a good job. Source out the mulch manufacturer-avoid the middleman if you can because with this volume they should be willing to entertain you. And don't waste your time trying to figure out how someone could riduclulously have underbid you-as it may happen. Good Luck.

10. dutchman

dutchman LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am with you don't listen to maybe future jobs most of the time it doesn't work like that. They say that to get a cheap price from you. And $24 a yard deliverd is very cheap. What kind of mulch is that