Need some help bidding on this hedge trimming job.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JustinPowell22, Oct 18, 2007.

1. JustinPowell22

JustinPowell22 LawnSite Member

Heres what I got...

I don't typically ask for help on bidding but these hedges are pretty damn tall. I have the equipment to tackle this job but am unsure as to how much to quote these folks. Take a look a these pics and let me know what you come up with. Thanks alot. keep in mind that the guy in the pic is standing at 5ft 10in.

Picture #1 is a total of 60ft length. they want 3ft taken off the top.
    Picture #2 is a total of 86ft length. they want 2ft taken off the top.
    Picture #3 is a total of 24ft length. they want it even across from the top of the smallest hedge.
    Picture #4 is a total of 40ft length. they want 3ft taken off the top.

With 2 guys on the job I come up with about 8 hours of labor.

10182007(001)sm.jpg

10182007(002)sm.jpg

10182007(004)sm.jpg

10182007(005)sm.jpg

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'd definitely bid high, because it not an easy job. Can't tell how wide those are from the pics and not seeing it in person. 8 hrs with 2 people should get it done like you said. Probably will take no more then 6 hrs. thou.
    $800 minimum

I'm glad you posted this, as I'm curious what other's might think it's worth.

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We just did a similar job. A couple of questions: Where will you dispose of debris? There will be LOTS of it! and do you have to trim both sides and the top? How wide/ thick are the hedges? Can you use standard trimmers or will you need extended trimmers? I would say it is ALL of 8 hours for the two of you, especially if you are working off ladders, moving the ladders and cleaning the clippings out of the other shrubs on the ground. We did a job recently, cut 3-5 feet off the top of one long hedge about 115' long, had to trim both sides and the top. Filled my 6x10 dump trailer 4 feet deep, twice! Our job took us 5 hours to complete, partly b/c we had to tarp all debris and drag to the front of the house to put in the trailer. I'd put an hourly man hour rate on it, then if you need to dispose of debris, add for that, too.
    Hope it helps,
    Matt.

4. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

i always charge about $100 an hour for extreme hedges or small trees, and 2 people ....... factor in your dump and disposal too
    +1 for $800 bid

5. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

I do hedges on an hourly rate, by the man hour- With disposal fee for debris. I use an hourly rate that provides my desired level of "net profit" times x amount of hours to complete the job.

6. JustinPowell22

JustinPowell22 LawnSite Member

We are thinking about using a small scaffolding at this point. We do have 2 extended trimmers that we will be using as needed. We do have to take all debris to the dump... We will be cutting the hedges on the tops and one side. They have to be atleast 5ft wide. There is no access to bring in a trailer therefore we will have to tarp it and drag to the front. It looks like $800 is an appropriate estimate but would like to hear what others think. Thanks to you all. :weightlifter: :cool2:

7. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I'm guessing 1200-1300. I think to make it look good there may be a considerable amount of hand pruning. If you are cutting a couple feet off, how woody are the tops? Can you do everything with the gas hedge trimmers? You can always charge less at the end of the job and look like a hero if it really takes you eight hrs. If you go over $800 worth of services it may be hard to ask for more. Tough to tell the specifics from the pictures. You also want to charge enough to cover all dump charges. It will also be a killer doing all that with extended trimmers. Atleast it would for me. Send in pics of the finished product.

8. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ask the guy flipping you off in the last pic

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't see getting that done correctly in 8 hours No F-in way, I want over 2 grand, 2 experienced guys 1.5 to 2 days. Lots Lots Lots of lopper work. Bring a file to keep the loppers sharp.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

a few 8 foot step ladders and some 2X8x12's will be fine for the stageing