Need some help diagnosing these shrubs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CSRA Landscaping, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Any ideas as to what's eating these? My guess is a fungus of some sort ... not even sure as to the type of these shrubs. But hey, that's part of why I come here - to learn. Pics following:

dcp_0176.jpg

2. CSRA Landscaping

3. CSRA Landscaping

4. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Looks like a boxwood to me.

5. CSRA Landscaping

Don't think it's a boxwood ... could be wrong, but I don't think so. It's stiffer than a boxwood, if that makes sense to you.

Close-up of the last pic:

dcp_0181.jpg

6. CSRA Landscaping

Any help is appreciated ... as a side note, those weeds were pulled shortly after the pic was taken ...:rolleyes:

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

not a boxwood. I have a huge row of them infront of my house. Have to trim them 3 times a year. Sorry about the disease but dont know.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can't really tell from the pics, but it looks to me like a "Hetzii" - otherwise known as a Japanese Holly. The damage can be anything.... I would have to see it up close to tell. If it isn't chemical burn, take a paper plate, cup it, and hold it underneath some of the chutes that are part green and part brown. Rub the chutes while squeezing them and pull some of the foliage as you're doing this. After you've collected some on this plate, in good light sort through some of this and look VERY close for mites. This could VERY well be what's doing this. Otherwise, there are varying factors in the stem and leaf tissue to determine if it is a fungus or not. One good thing, is that it will probably rejuvinate.

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

yah thats a Holly, not sure what kind from the pic, might be a Japanese like Runner said or an inkberry or china boy/girl. As far as the problem, it could be a few things. I don't think it's fungus but it might be because we've had so much wet weather that there's fungus and muchrooms and stuff all over. I'd say it's probly some short of insect.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just me, or are there two different plants in those photos?

The first looks like Boxwood (different twig arrangement from Japanese Holly)

Then another photo, looks like it has a type of leaf like a Holly - not a spiny kind, but a variety with pointy lobes.

Any chance they were sheared heavily before the weather got hot at some point in time?