Need some help driving this Metro HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, Jul 30, 2003.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I bought a 36" Metro HP today (belt drive). I have never drove a walk behind. We have only had ZTR's, 52" exmark and 36" walker. I know its going to take some getting used to but can someone give me some pointers on how to make a zero turn. I cut my grass with it, and I either made my turns to big or I made divots with the wheels. Its tough not having the hydrostatic drive like my big mowers. Any help to speed up my inexperience would be appreciated.
  2. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

The only advice that I can give is this. Make a couple of passes around the outside of the lot and when you start your back and forth passes, make your turns in the already mowed part. Just try not to brake all the way... if this makes any sense, brake about 95 to 98 percent.:)
  3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

1. Slow down. If you're digging divots you're going too fast.

2. The brekes are probably adjusted way too tight. You should have a little give in them. I mean, you should be able to squeeze them to slow down the mower without them locking up.

3. On the Exmark if you squeze the handle half way after you slow you can pull slightly back on the pivot side as you turn to avoid digging in. It takes some paractice, but you'll get the hang of it.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

^ that goes for any belt drive walk behind. But you may have to pull back more than you think.
  5. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I circle the yard 3 times and then make like a 3 point turn. After a wile you can make your turns and line up with your next stripe without looking.

P&P LawnCare*LandScape
  6. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Technically, you can't make a "zero turn" with a belt drive, as you cannot make one wheel turn backwards.......but you already knew that

Here's a tip: your brand new tires are probably cutting the turf more than they will as they wear down. We can slam on the brakes on our year-old+ tires and not rip up healthy turf

Also: squeeze BOTH handles when making a turn. Lock the inside, but squeeze the outside too, so that you can slow the turn down to a manageable speed