Need some help fellas

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ScottyK79, Jan 9, 2007.

1. ScottyK79

ScottyK79 LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

We recently acquired some ball fields and rodman construction is working behind them. They busted some main lines and now there is all kinds of trash in the lines. I have flushed the valves, flushed the heads, tried everything. When I turn on the water at the double check, all the zones come on and stay on. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this, replace the valves maybe?????????? Please help, thank you.

2. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like to me that there is so much debris in the valves its causing 'em to stick open. You might want to try and flush it longer or manually open/ close each valve. If that don't work I think you'll either have to take apart each valve and clean 'em or just replace 'em.

Good Luck!

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might need to assume there will always be some crud in the supply, and install a Y-strainer to catch it. Just before the backflow preventer is the usual location for one.

4. ScottyK79

from TEXAS

Thanks for the info, I think I will install the strainer and replace one valve at a time to see if that does it. Thank you very much guys.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

No need to start replacing valves or installing strainers. If the system worked fine before the mainline break, then theres not much point in putting in a strainer.

Start taking the bonnet off each valve, and removing the diaphragm. I'd replace each diaphragm and flush out the valve body.

Valves stick open from trash jamming against the diaphragm.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

This sounds like a job for T&M Man!! Locate each valve, remove the bonnet and diaphragm, clean out debris. Also check under solenoid actuator. May have trash there also. Check the diaphragm seat for damage. Replace them as necessary. May take several flushings.

Depending on the amount of trash, replacing valves wouldn't aleviate the problem until the main line is clear.

7. ScottyK79

from TEXAS

Thanks for the input, I have flushed them all(8 valves) atleast 15 times. I guess I will try replacing the diaphragms first then move onto another solution. Thanks again

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There is a point in putting in a mainline strainer, if there is a possibility that the line cannot be completely flushed clear. I recall an old lake-fed system that had imperfect supply filtration, and even after that was corrected, there was always some crud being washed out of the lines and into the mist heads every time the system was opened in the spring. That went on for years.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

just flushing the valves will porbably NOT solve the problem.

you will have to take off the top of the valve and inspect under the diaphram. this is where the trash will be.

you may not have to replace the diaphram at all.. just remove the trash manually and you might very well be golden.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Just got in the house from fixing something like that. We have had several breaks at a job site in the last 3 weeks. Now valves are sticking open.

I don't know how many zones it is but it has 2 maxicoms. I think each is a 36 zone and both are nearly full.

Man alive can this wait until next week.