1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need some help form the masters

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Outdoor Creations, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Outdoor Creations

Outdoor Creations LawnSite Member

I am doing some bids for some builders and they want me to bid them by the sq. ft. Crazy, dont want to do it. I have always I think short changed myself when it came to charging for rock and labor. In the past I have always just figured it out as if I had lets say 10 ton of rock to install and lets say it cost me $24.00 a ton. I would just figure it out as $30 a ton (mark up) so on 10 ton it would cost $300 and I know this is not right but I would just double that for my labor. So it would only come up to $600 for install and material. As you can see I need some help. I use mostly 1 1/2 " to 1 3/4" river rock. Its coverage is about 80 sq. ft. I was running the numbers but keep running into a wall. I need to have my pricing so I can say this is how much per sq. yrd. Not just tring to figure it out everytime and not having any solid pricing.
    Out of that 80 sq. ft. I come up with 8.88 sq. yrds. Is that correct. Is it crazy to say $80 per sq. yrd. installed? Includes fabric or plastic , labor and the rock.
    Please help, I would really appreciate it.
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

So we are talking river rock OK. How are you installing it, are you picking up from the ground or out of a truck, barrow, buckets, dingo, skid steer? Second I know things are different around the counry, but 80/yd. I cant even imagine that. Lets say you pay $2 / yd for the fabric, $24 / yd for the stone, $4 / yd wear and tear on the hand tools. Thats $30 just for the install expenses not including your vehicle, gas, labor, insurance. How long does it take you install 1 yd? What do you need to make an hour to sleep well at night? IMO $80 is way to low. I wont tell you my price for it, but lets say double your rate and it will get you a little closer to what it probably should be.
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Please provide the following so we know as much about your company

Avaerage wage for your crew.
    if it is just you how much do you want to make per hour.not how much you want to charge per hour.

What equipment will you use to complete the job including trucks.

How much is your actual cost for Materials per yard or ton what ever but without markups and add delivery if it applies.

we can work up a unit price from these figures.