Need some help here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, May 21, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I mowed a yard today, a new client that I have done twice previously. Both previous times the yard came out fine, no problems. Today, I get done and about half the grass in the yard has not been cut, but rather 'shredded'. Instead of cutting off the tops cleanly, the tips are shredded and the yard looked like crap. I double cut it, no difference. I just put brand new blades on the mowers this morning, cut 1 lawn before this one and it came out fine. All the lawns after that came out fine as well. This one yard looks like crap and I am not sure why. The shredded grass looks like it is different than regular kbg or fescue, more stalky almost like a weed. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I sharpened a new pair of blades tonight and I'm going to go recut it first thing tomorrow. I dunno if that will make a difference, the blades I had today were sharp and looked fine when I took them off.

:confused: :confused:
  2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Blades on up-side down?

Sounds like blade speed not up to par, Check belt tension.

May as well check spindles too. Bearing play does not always present itself with a big squealing noise.
  3. mtdman

I'm not sure why it just cut this one lawn bad, on this one day. It's always turned out fine, and everything else today did as well. 1 isolated occurance. Plus, I tried two lawn mowers on it, same results.

I think it's the crappy weed grass. Just not sure what to do about it.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had that happen to me earlier this week. The back yard tore the grass instead of cutting. The blades were brand new and sharp. I couldn't figure it out. I slowed down, double cut, everything.
  5. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

What kind of blades did you buy.
  6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

A couple years ago when I was helping a friend with his business, we had several lawns that cut like the one you're describing. As best we could tell, these lawns had chemical apps by one of the big marketers. There was a lot of thatch, and the grass wasn't really rooted in the soil. It seemed to pull and tear rather than cut. Maybe check with the owner and see who does the apps. At least you'll know why its happening. Don't try to cut lower, we found that just pulled large clumps out of the lawn. You may be able to get a passable job by cutting higher and more often.
  7. mtdman

Nah, it didn't pull the grass out. Just shredded the tips of some of the grass. And I don't think they get applications.

The blades were plain old high lift blades, same as I've always used.
  8. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's another thought. Turf in this area has produced an amazing amount of seedhead this year. I don't know that anyone can get a real quality cut under these conditions. Especially with all the rain, and lawns being higher than normal. As the seedhead begins to fade, the quality of your cut should improve.
  9. clay_dawg

clay_dawg LawnSite Member

Sounds like you were on it with your assumption of weeds. We have more than our share of weeds in the south. One weed type has stalks instead of blades and it never cuts clean. It seems to get tougher as the season progresses and it looks splintered instead of neatly manicured. Sharper blades won't get you there.....Herbicide!
  10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I had that happen to a couple f lawns yesterday. These were 3rd cut lawns and the grass has started to "spike" with a center seed shank that's harder to cut than the regular leaf. I went back and forth a couple of times and it seemed to get rid of it.