Need some help identifying this problem??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by majic_6, Oct 8, 2009.

1. majic_6

majic_6 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

these are pics from a customers yard after they mow. i noticed that after they mow the yard has a brown tint to it consistently through out the lawn. it looks like the bottom half of the grass blade is brown, so when mowed the brown shows more, and the top greens back up within 2 days after they mow. it almost looks like its being scalped, but they mow on the highest level, i think 4 1/2 inches. they said its been going on for a few months. any ideas or recommendations???? thanks....i will add some pics after the green up occurs if needed

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

2. willis007

willis007 LawnSite Member
    from Akansas

it looks like leaf spot

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do they mow once per week? Probably taking too much off at one time. Golf courses and athletic fields mow more often, sometimes 5 times per week. Lawn tractor? Be sure all wheels are set at the same level and no blade is tilted or wheel is bent.

Secondly, if they mow when it is wet, sometimes fungus gets into the cut surface and fungus travels down the leaf for a half inch or so--you get brown at the cut leaves. I think I see a little dollarspot and red thread.

4. majic_6

majic_6 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

he mows once every 5 or 6 days.....he has a dixie chopper and has mower at highest level and is at top notch in performance...he even used another mower to mow with and it done the same thing. i have treated red thread on this yard before but the consistantsy of the whole yard has me wondering. even after the yard greens up a few days after being mowed, the browness is still at the root of the grass

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say it's because he isn't mowing low enough to keep it green after a cut.

It seems the longer the grass (though better for the lawn) the more it browns out when mowed.

If he mowed once every 3-4 days then I wouldn't think it would brown out so bad.

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Is the turf too thick?

7. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Looks like some sort of fungus to me.

8. majic_6

majic_6 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

the turf is thick, probably the thickest yard i treat....2 acre yard and they dethatched it last year. temps are high 60's to low 70's at day and low 50's at night...customer said it started to do this around early summer. yard looked great early spring and looks good after it grows out a little, but still has browning towards the soil. could the thickness be putting a strain on the new seedlings coming in?

9. majic_6

majic_6 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i drove by the lawn yesterday and it was green, and looked great. is it possible that the thickness of the lawn could be causing this problem?..if so, how do you fix?....i thought that was the object, to have a thick green lawn??...if a fungus, then what fungus makes the yard look like this?

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I would say it's the thickness of the lawn. Even if you have a fungal problem, the lawn still looks really healthy.

Either mow shorter once a week, or mow more frequently. I've got a lawn I pick up this year, and it was two foot tall the first time I mowed. It took 3 weeks of mowing it shorter and on schedule to keep it from browning when mowed. I could also see a difference in grass, as the property is a double lot. One side blue-grass, and the other a contractors mix. Needless to say, the KBG side looks great after mowed and the other still browns out some.